Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Is a .308 150 gr bullet enough ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Is 150 gr Interlock bullet at .308 velocities enough bullet for big Water Buck ?
    Perhaps a Nosler Accubond ?

Would a 150 gr Peregrine bullet be considered a safe bet ?

I am setting a youngster up, first rifle, first lots of things. He also has his own idea's about bullets and range and shot placement etc
    I have always been a believer that a 165/8 gr bullet in a .308 kills anything, and that a 150 gr bullet is to light, to low in BC and SD (yes I know) and to fast to facilitate the benefits of the .308 with cup and core bullets.

Opinions please, keeping in mind that the lighty is still going to put shots that are not of optimum placement occasionally.
    These kinds of questions are always funny coming from an experienced hunter, that always leads me to believe there is doubt. Most older folk can shoot with any bullet but worrying about where a youngster would put a bullet is a valid concern, and it’s not as if waterbuck are little animals.

Let’s state the BC’s first of all, as it was mentioned:
    150gr interlock = .349, aka a blunt rock kind of BC
    165gr flat base interlock = .387, just another kind of blunt rock.
    165gr BTSP interlock = .435, finally over the .400’s but hardly anything fancy.

And then the speed most folk shoot a 165gr at, it’s usually around 2650ft/s, perfect to make the bullet work as intended but hardly flat shooting or wind bucking.
    I would try and use a harder bullet for the young gun, one that can penetrate from any angle, as peregrines was mentioned, compared to the interlock, you might as well load 136gr VLR4 Peregrine bullets at 2900ft/s and know they are going through whatever tissue you encounter first, instead of hoping.

I mean firstly you are hoping he places the bullet correctly, and secondly hoping that if he does not that the bullet will penetrate enough, that is a lot of hoping going on, not really a recipe for success, and hence there is a post being placed in gunsite because doubt have already crept in.

Banned

Yes Messor, you have pretty much seen into the matter, I have doubts in regard to the 150 gr I/Lock but as per post previous and the kids Uncle and Cousin, Aunty and Sister twice removed its 308/150 gr just like Toyota Hylux 2.4 - it just is.
    I see many guys shoot 150ties with absolute success.

So I did not want to push my way as the only way and the only right way, like I said the 165/168 I/Lock works for me no less than the .270 and a 130 Bonded bullet.
    Being the child's first rifle it will also be his play rifle and I want the practice bullet to be the hunting bullets, so I was hoping for a non premium bullet.
    If he insists on a 150 gr then it must be a bonded bullet.

I was also thinking that since I have a 100 x 150 gr VR5 bullets lying around, perhaps he can buy some VR4 bullets to hunt with and not have to play with the scope when practicing.

User

"...keeping in mind that the lighty is still going to put shots that are not of optimum placement occasionally..."

just this is enough motivation to use monos. you can shoot 150gr Peregrines at 2800fps, it gives all the flat shooting you need (and seriously, in the situation you describe you don't want him shooting from a different post code anyway).

you want a point&click situation, wich may mean somewhat higher impact speed, which will be hard on a cup&core, but nothing for a mono.

there's a helluva lot to say for the 308/150gr combo, it's the Goldilocks load that makes the 308 the Goldilocks caliber. by using a mono, you add even more Goldilocks

User

I used the 150 grain interlocks in a 30-06 for the last 2 years I PHed full time. They worked fine on the larger antelope. I prefer the 180 gainers but I didn't have failure of the catastrophic kind I can remember and waterbuck bulls were shot every 7 to 10 days. In fact I think the 150s would be better in the 308 vs the 3006.

If there is an option of a bonded or mono bullet use the stronger bullet unless you shooting numbers that make the cheaper bullet the economical sense. Weirdly I prefer normal cup and core bullets to bonded or monos:)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    . Weirdly I prefer normal cup and core bullets to bonded or monos:)

After all I have argued and proven and seen, I still like a cup and core/ interlock bullet behind shoulders.

User

Suitability depends on how well it will work in that particular application, and that in turn depends largely on 2 things:

1. Shot placement. This is determined by the user, not the bullet.

2. Terminal performance. This largely depends on bullet construction and impact velocity. If the Interlock bullet impacts the right spot on the waterbuck at around 2100 tot 2300 fps, it should expand well and penetrate deeply. Much faster, and the penetration suffers. Much slower, then expansion suffers.

If the typical shooting distances are on the short side, a heavier bullet with lower MV may be the better option. Off course the 150gn Interlock can be loaded down a little.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2