Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Who uses Venison fat and what do you use it for.

Occasionally I gut a animal and it has a huge layer of internal fat which is disposed of.
    Every time I do this I have a primal type of feeling of loss, like I am throwing away value and my body mind knows it.

Then I eat some impala and think that it is rather dry, wonder if I should have inserted some of that fat in the meat.

Been pondering this for years with bloody hands and no PC at hand.

Banned

Default Re: Who uses Venison fat and what do you use it for.

Fry some of that fat in a skillet, then bake/braai/grill something in it.

It does not taste like regular fat and or some reason I do not like the taste.

User

I also hate leaving anything unused, but honestly, the venison fat I've made peace with throwing away. the exception I've had was a nice fat Gemsbok cow's netvet, which we stuffed with the liver. that was exceptionally good.

User

We here in la-la land don’t typically incorporate fat from wild game, rather we use beef suet for ground venison, 1 pound fat to 4 or 5 pounds lean meat (75 to 80% lean).
    As you know, treeman, boar hogs can taste and smell “gamey” when cooked, wild boars especially so. Therefore, to minimize the strong flavor domestic pig fat is added to lean cuts for making sausage. This usually follows an extended icing period of the meat to get as much blood out of it as possible.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    We here in la-la land don’t typically incorporate fat from wild game, rather we use beef suet for ground venison, 1 pound fat to 4 or 5 pounds lean meat (75 to 80%lean).
    As you know, treeman, boar hogs can taste and smell “gamey” when cooked, wild boars especially so. Therefore, to minimize the strong flavor domestic pig fat is added to lean cuts for making sausage. This usually follows an extended icing period of the meat to get as much blood out of it as possible.
    Please explain this in depth.

User

We typically use a big beer cooler and a bunch of ice. If in the field I keep a container of salt in my truck, as well. Quarter up the pig, toss it in the cooler as soon as possible and let it soak/cool for several hours, draining and adding ice as necessary. Some people do this for a day or two. Many larger coolers have a threaded drain on them, to which a garden hose can be screwed on and used to drain the bloody runoff water out and away from wherever you have your cooler.
    I saved this video from years ago, demonstrating a very efficient method of getting pigs quickly butchered from a catch-pen to into the ice chest. The location is Alabama.

Long ago, my grandparents used blesbok fat to make candles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Long ago, my grandparents used blesbok fat to make candles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I knew more about this. We are loosing the last of "those " people, the ones that remember the other world.
    My wifes Granny told me 2 weeks before she died about here moving to Grahamstown, 4 days in a ox wagon.
    Her first child died of something and the state buried the child in a metal coffin soldered close.
    Her forth child is buried under a water tank at Wolwefontein E/C, she is not sure where.

User

No internal fat is nice, except maybe sheep net fat wrapped around some liver.

Beef kidney fat gets stuck to your pallet.

I've found venison fat to be very hard and just not nice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    No internal fat is nice, except maybe sheep net fat wrapped around some liver.

Beef kidney fat gets stuck to your pallet.

I've found venison fat to be very hard and just not nice.
    Tail fat from sheep is supposed to be nice when added to mince when making burger patties

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast