Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Who uses Venison fat and what do you use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Long ago, my grandparents used blesbok fat to make candles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcwp.asp

There you go.
    Render fat at low heat and get rid of all the solids. Let cool in a stainless or enameled bowl/skottel of appropriate size to add some extra fluid and mix without spilling. Wiegh and calculate lye and water amount. Bring fat up to same temp as lye mix. Add and stir/mix till you have soap, takes a while. Mind your eyes and work in a well ventilated area. Have molds handy or end up with one big blob. Cover and cool slowly overnight. Cut to size.
    More or less how I used to do it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Tail fat from sheep is supposed to be nice when added to mince when making burger patties
    It is and to boerewors as well. Sheep fat tails go for a premium, when you can find them.

Braaing a sheep fat tail is also very nice, but not too good for the cholesterol count.

Banned

Ye', but we drift now - venison fat.
    The tribal peoples of times past placed high value in animal fat all around the globe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post

Braaing a sheep fat tail is also very nice, but not too good for the cholesterol count.
    That may be up for debate.

Read "The Big Fat Surprise" and be prepared to have your preconceptions challenged.

User

Default Who uses Venison fat and what do you use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Ye', but we drift now - venison fat.
    The tribal peoples of times past placed high value in animal fat all around the globe.
    Likely due to the high density calorie content and the many other uses animal fats were known for. The discovery of oil in the earth probably saved whales from extinction at the hands of man.
    Agree with you on the old ways largely displaced by “progress”. I often think of the indigenous people in all the world’s old continents and their relationship with nature. They lived as part of their surroundings, carving out their niche and acted as caretakers to Mother Nature’s bounties, understanding their place in it and respectful of the balance…unlike the prevailing attitudes of today.
    A verse from a song I like sums it up for thought:
    “I am an American Indian, my tribe is Cherokee,
    My forefathers loved this land, they left it here for me;
    But the white man came with boats and trains and dirty factories,
    And poisoned my existence with his deeds…
    Nature is our mother, we are sucklings at her breast,
    And he who tries to beat her down will lose her to the rest—
    They’ll never win…and I’ll ride again!”

Banned

Fats original value is in that it is stored energy, for consumption or fuel use. In the writing both fictional and factual, no fat was ever wasted.
    If meat was money, fat would be gold.

Fat is essential for brain development in infants.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Fat is essential for brain development in infants.
    We must be a fat starved nation

User

Treeman, the topic is not one of what is but what was, now it’s down to palatable.
    For a couple of thousand years modern lifestyle refined humans in to what is normal to eat, but one must understand that in itself is not normal, normal would mean eating most parts of the animal and not find it off putting in any way. I’ve seen a lot of indigenous human tribes eating a lot of weird sh!t, something none of us would even think about, but the truth is that is normal, just not our normal.

So to answer your question, if we grew up eating this fat and only this fat, it would be normal, now, in 2021, it’s not, that does not change the fact that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Treeman, the topic is not one of what is but what was, now it’s down to palatable.
    For a couple of thousand years modern lifestyle refined humans in to what is normal to eat, but one must understand that in itself is not normal, normal would mean eating most parts of the animal and not find it off putting in any way. I’ve seen a lot of indigenous human tribes eating a lot of weird sh!t, something none of us would even think about, but the truth is that is normal, just not our normal.

So to answer your question, if we grew up eating this fat and only this fat, it would be normal, now, in 2021, it’s not, that does not change the fact that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

This is about where I was going.
    I always wondered why we do not use the animals own fat for our wors and patties. I once had Fallow deer and its fat was like lamb, but different lamb, with its own flavor that was not bad, but not what I was used too. This made it not so enjoyable.

That hard white fat in the body cavity of a Impala, I wonder what it is like in a wors or pattie, I have read Wilber Smiths books and remember how it was described as a treat the heart, liver and cavity fats.

I was wondering if any one was going to post "love it, we never waste it" , I would have liked to have read that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast