Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Who uses Venison fat and what do you use it for.

Sorry about the direct copy from Wikipedia, but it was easier than typing:

Protein poisoning (also referred to colloquially as rabbit starvation, mal de caribou, or fat starvation) refers to an acute form of malnutrition caused by a diet deficient in fat, where almost all calories consumed come from lean meat.[1][2] The concept is discussed in the context of paleoanthropologial investigations into the diet of ancient humans, especially during the last glacial maximum and at high latitudes.[3][4]

The San people used to get fat from animal brains, it was so sought after. So basically lean meat alone is not adequate. Some game fat would have to have been consumed as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Treeman, how do you guys over there process your venison sausage, in the general sense?

User

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    Treeman, how do you guys over there process your venison sausage, in the general sense?
    Mostly mix venison and beef fat or other fat and sometimes add pork to make the sausage. We call it boerewors and is usually loaded with spices and coriander. Beef fat and spice are added to sausage that is hung up and dried and called dried sausage. It is made in a similar way to biltong (jerky type cured meat).

Thin sausage is mostly filled in sheep casings and thick sausage in pork casings. Synthetic casings (Collagen) can also be used.

User

Depending on the species of venison I might mix in in beef or pork meat as well. I usually use beef brisket. I have used sheeps fat as well, especially when making droëwors.

User

Default Who uses Venison fat and what do you use it for.

Just reading this makes me hungry. Is smoked wors uncommon?

User

We generally shun smoke cured products, there are exceptions.

You guys seem really into it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    We generally shun smoke cured products, there are exceptions.

You guys seem really into it.
    Sean please elaborate "we generally shun smoked products"

Banned

How is smoked wors made, i know the wors part, smoked ingredients or smoked afterwards - do you still cook it ?

User

Default Who uses Venison fat and what do you use it for.

Treeman, such a subject is close to my heart and stomach.
    Two types of smoking, hot and cold. Both utilize hardwood. Cold smoking is 30C or lower, best for foods you wish to impart the smoke flavor into but doesn’t cook through. Most often cheeses and vegetables. Smoked cheddar is good stuff.
    Hot smoking is done between 107-121C over several hours and mainly used for meats. Thoroughly cooks the items as internal temperature should reach 74C over several hours. This method is what I like best. Whole hams/butts can also be prepared this way. Whole hogs cut in half down the spine may cook overnight. We in the southern U.S. often shred slow-smoked pork butts and serve on hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls. Sliced plain white bread is served with smoked beef brisket in Texas, very common there in beef country.
    The ‘Tube of course has many videos on how to construct a simple and low-cost smokehouse. I saw a guy from Georgia make one once out of a couple of terracotta flower pots, a tin pan and electric heating element…similar to this:

The traditional home-made smokehouse looks like an outhouse:

Rods or racks inside:

A smoker-grill (wheelie braai):

We’ve cold smoke about 2 metres (just over 6ft in the weird units) of boerewors as a test. Hickory chips, if I recall correctly. It was…nice. In the end we preferred that for a morning braai, it made a good breakfast wors.

With the last batch of wors we made on Saturday we didn’t do any smoking, just the mince (ground beef), some sheep fat, and spice.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast