Default .243 small primer brass

Hi is anyone able to point me in the direction of small rifer primer .243 brass? thanks

User

Default Re: .243 small primer brass

The only maker I know of is https://www.petersoncartridge.com/

.243 small primer are pretty rare even here in the US.

The only shooters I have seen use them are the high power long range shooters. They are running .243's at max loads. The only advantage is at max loads the small primers are less likely to leak gas. Those guys are running the unlimited bench rest rifles that have very heavy 26 inch barrels.

good luck in your search for them maybe someone there will know of a source.

User

You do not explain the reason for wanting small primer brass, so I'm just guessing here.

In my research on the 6,5 Creedmoor (and a few others), I have also looked into the primer size issue. Interestingly, David Tubb (well known in ballistic circles) mentioned that when developing the 6XC cartridge, he chose large primers. His reason being that above 35gn powder, any small primer may cause erratic ignition. So a 6BR should be fine with a SRP, 6mm Dasher marginal, and 6XC and above problematic.

Loaders using SRP in the 6,5Cm (using around 45gn of powder, similar to a 243) have reported erratic ignition, especially with some primer brands and types. Remington 7 1/2 primers seem to give best results. This is no coincidence, since these were developed specifically for the BR-series cartridges. Even in the US, finding specific components, especially primers, is a problem. Now try finding Rem 7 1/2 here in SA...

The 308 Win cartridge with SRP (Lapua 308 Palma Match cases) seem to be more reliable. This is likely due to the better ignition characteristics (i.e. less retardant coating) of the faster powders used. The 243 (and similar) needs significantly slower powder, which is harder to ignite.

Interestingly, the 6BR uses relatively fast powders, same class as 308W, while the 243 and 6,5CM need the slower powders with more retardant coatings etc. So powder burn rate may be a significant contributor to the ignition issues with SRP's.

My approach would be to stick to LRP cases and go for a brand of known quality and case head hardness. ADG cases come to mind. Then keep your pressures within safe limits so the case heads don't expand.

My "rule of thumb" pressure safety check is to load a single case 10 times with a specific load. If the primers still fit tight after 10 firings, I consider the pressure to be safe. If the case head expands, the primer pocket will get loose and the load is considered "too hot".

This last few fps that you can extract with a hot load, are very seldom worth the cost.

Let's go Sarel !!!

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Loaders using SRP in the 6,5Cm (using around 45gn of powder, similar to a 243) have reported erratic ignition, especially with some primer brands and types. Remington 7 1/2 primers seem to give best results. This is no coincidence, since these were developed specifically for the BR-series cartridges. Even in the US, finding specific components, especially primers, is a problem. Now try finding Rem 7 1/2 here in SA...
    Just for info and interest, it seems Federal have switched their 6.5 Creedmoor Fusion factory loads from LRP to SRP

Thanks for all the replies. I came close to finding some Peterson brass but alas it seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere and Lynx is unsure of when they will be able to get stock again.

I was looking to use small rifle primers because i get great consistency and accuracy using Hodgdon 4350 in my 6.5CM and am using the same powder now with starting to reload .243 win.

Eventually settled on hornady brass as its what I could justify spending for a rifle that is going to be used purely for hunting.