Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Canik TP9SF - Anyone been using one for a few years?

So I already have a G19 G3...on a S13 licence.
    Looking to get second gun now as a backup and get the whole process underway again for S15 licence in Jan...Then forget about it and thats it for me for a long time...(hopefully!)

So I can get a TP9SF for R7500...Add in another R700 odd for another mag (one 1x mag included) and another 700 odd for a holster and its R9k odd...
    Not sure how after market service is in SA for this? I like the reviews, like the way it feels....and for the price it seems a good deal with sights etc...Just a bit unproven over time?
    Then there is the TP9 Elite kit, comes with 2 x mags and a holster for R9k....

Or do I get another G19 G3 as I have spare mags and holsters now...and I am happy with how it performs..the way it feels and carries....Its a tool for protection for me and I feel secure with the reliability...Thats about R9500
    Or prehaps a G17 G3 at around R10k....(I dont feel the gen 4s and gen5s will make much difference to me for the extra money...Rather buy more ammo)

Max I could throw at this is R10k......Any suggestions anyone?
    Main issues for me are reliability, spares availability and repairs and obviously costs...(Hence my reasoning for the Glock first time round...)

User

Default Re: Canik TP9SF - Anyone been using one for a few years?

just get another 19. you'll thank yourself in the long run, purely from a commonality viewpoint, even if you disregard alk the other advantages of it being a Glock.

User

Glock, their track record is second to none…. info on those Caniks is mostly from YouTube influencers right? Let someone else test the water.

User

Glock. Easy answer.

Banned

Good evening Tappets,

It depends on what you want to do with the extra pistol. If you want another licensed something in the safe, almost anything will do.

If it was your first buy, any reputable and trustworthy firearm would have been good.

If you are serious about shooting, and shooting often, and since you already have a G19/3, you might as well get another one. The price would not change much, you would would have one platform, and all the expendables stay the same.

And licensing a second, identical firearm should not be difficult.

Lastly, you could consider getting a G17 or G34 specifically for sport shooting. Carrying a G17 is not that difficult.

Thanks all..someone said I would have issues trying to get another 9mm? Anyway... The gun woild pretty much be a safe gun.. Spare gun...

Although who knows in the future... I thought the Canik might be a good option if I did want to get a little more involved... Although I think the G17 is a better choice simply for spares 10 years down the road?

I do a fair bit of cycling and have discovered over the years with various brands of bikes that its it's not so much how the bike and service levels are now... Is about getting service 5 years later... Must be nice living in the states where you can just take a chance on a Canik or taurus or something and if it doesn't work... Then it's only money lost... Not money and Licencing times like here..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tappets View Post
    Thanks all..someone said I would have issues trying to get another 9mm? Anyway... The gun woild pretty much be a safe gun.. Spare gun....
    Someone doesn't know what they are talking about.

I have 2 x 9mm. 2 x 40 S&W, 2 x 12ga, 2 x .223 rifles

Motivate for OSS (S15), but belong to a club or organization and you have a need for sport.

Glock over Canik any day

User

If I were in your shoes, I would opt for another Glock. A second G19 does not seem very attractive to me, as it does just the same as the other one does, except if you were to go for an optics-ready version and mount a good reflex sight on it. But that won't fit in your 10k budget.

My first Glock was a G19 (gen 2). I got it 30 years ago and still carry it every day. I see no need to get a second G19 yet.
    The second was a G20 in 10mm Auto. Not the ideal EDC piece, but I like it a lot and use it for "special occasions" such as a secondary hunting gun.
    My third Glock was a G34. What a great sports pistol! The difference between the G19 and G34 is significant. I would also carry this if I need to, the size is not a problem for me.

So, I think your choice is between a G26, G17, G34, maybe a G17L? or even a G43, 43X or 48. How about a G40MOS? I really like that thing!

Choose one that you will use a lot. Letting it sit lonely and unwanted in the safe is just cruel.

Let's go Sarel !!!

User

Glock are so common in SA that there will be in a incentive for someone to import and carry spares for them for a long time to come. Brands like Canik, no matter how good they may be do not yet enjoy the same sort of market penetration. For that reason alone, in the OP's shoes, I would buy another Glock.

Thanks all, I basically considered the same G19 just so I dont have to buy new holsters....buy once cry once here! Its already hurting a bit...
    Probably go for the G17 then.....Ill go to town this week and see how it feels again......

A-R : Out of interest have you had any mechanical ailments with your G19 and how many rounds do you think you have put through that in 30 years?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast