Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Canik TP9SF - Anyone been using one for a few years?

A G17 would be a great choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tappets View Post
    Thanks all..someone said I would have issues trying to get another 9mm? Anyway... The gun woild pretty much be a safe gun.. Spare gun...

Although who knows in the future... I thought the Canik might be a good option if I did want to get a little more involved... Although I think the G17 is a better choice simply for spares 10 years down the road?

I do a fair bit of cycling and have discovered over the years with various brands of bikes that its it's not so much how the bike and service levels are now... Is about getting service 5 years later... Must be nice living in the states where you can just take a chance on a Canik or taurus or something and if it doesn't work... Then it's only money lost... Not money and Licencing times like here..
    If you're concerned about spare parts, buy spare parts. If you don't really use your G19 for sport, a parts kit and a few recoil springs should carry your firearm for the rest of its usable life. If you want another firearm for sport shooting, get another firearm. Trying to license a firearm to have as a safe queen or to maybe use for parts, may come back to bite you one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ωhm View Post
    If you're concerned about spare parts, buy spare parts. If you don't really use your G19 for sport, a parts kit and a few recoil springs should carry your firearm for the rest of its usable life. If you want another firearm for sport shooting, get another firearm. Trying to license a firearm to have as a safe queen or to maybe use for parts, may come back to bite you one day.
    I doubt it will come back and bite me....Any second gun is a good thing...My last licence took 8 months...Who knows with the next one...and who knows what the future holds for licencing in general... .(and everything is just getting more expensive by the day here..!)

User

All the more reason to get the second buy in ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

A-R : Out of interest have you had any mechanical ailments with your G19 and how many rounds do you think you have put through that in 30 years?
    Yes, let me think...
    1. The mag release spring rusted off from my perspiration running in and sitting there where I never clean. The replacement cost very little and is stainless steel. (A better holster now prevents that from happening again.)
    2. I experienced misfires that became more common at one stage. Figured out the firing pin protrusion was less than optimal. While struggling to clean out the firing pin channel, a plastic sleeve popped out that I did not know about. Behind it there was a heap of brass shavings. Seems the firing pin channel occasionally shaves some bits off the primers and these accumulated in there, partially obstructing the striker. Cleaned it out an re-inserted the sleeve. Shoots perfectly ever since. (From gen 3 onwards, they have a small vent hole to clear out any gunk from there.)
    3. The factory sights wore down and were replaced twice, the last time with aftermarket steel units.
    4. 1 of my original mags started acting up. Seems the mag body was bulging out too much, allowing cartridges to wedge in side-by-side instead of in a staggered formation. Mag body was scrapped and internal parts saved.
    5. The texture on the sides of the grip has worn down to almost smooth now. This carries even more comfortably. (I mostly grip the pistol on the front and back straps, and they still have all the grenade chequering, so control is unaffected for me.)
    6. At around 10k rounds the recoil spring failed the "test" and was replaced. Function was not affected yet.

This is my EDC gun, so it gets carried a lot and only shot very little. Round count is just over 12k now. Still lots of life in her.
    My G34 is about 4 years old and is also at around 12k rounds. No issues so far.
    (I have other 9mm pistols too, that I use more for sport shooting, along with the 10mm and a couple of 45's. These have higher round counts.)

Let's go Sarel !!!

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Yes, let me think...
    1. The mag release spring rusted off from my perspiration running in and sitting there where I never clean. The replacement cost very little and is stainless steel. (A better holster now prevents that from happening again.)
    2. I experienced misfires that became more common at one stage. Figured out the firing pin protrusion was less than optimal. While struggling to clean out the firing pin channel, a plastic sleeve popped out that I did not know about. Behind it there was a heap of brass shavings. Seems the firing pin channel occasionally shaves some bits off the primers and these accumulated in there, partially obstructing the striker. Cleaned it out an re-inserted the sleeve. Shoots perfectly ever since. (From gen 3 onwards, they have a small vent hole to clear out any gunk from there.)
    3. The factory sights wore down and were replaced twice, the last time with aftermarket steel units.
    4. 1 of my original mags started acting up. Seems the mag body was bulging out too much, allowing cartridges to wedge in side-by-side instead of in a staggered formation. Mag body was scrapped and internal parts saved.
    5. The texture on the sides of the grip has worn down to almost smooth now. This carries even more comfortably. (I mostly grip the pistol on the front and back straps, and they still have all the grenade chequering, so control is unaffected for me.)
    6. At around 10k rounds the recoil spring failed the "test" and was replaced. Function was not affected yet.

This is my EDC gun, so it gets carried a lot and only shot very little. Round count is just over 12k now. Still lots of life in her.
    My G34 is about 4 years old and is also at around 12k rounds. No issues so far.
    (I have other 9mm pistols too, that I use more for sport shooting, along with the 10mm and a couple of 45's. These have higher round counts.)

Let's go Sarel !!!
    Thanks, sounds like its been pretty reliable and cheap to maintain over the years...I will remember to check that mag spring as I also carry when Im out for a run or cycling so its also exposed to sweat!
    Im not a big fan of those fancy and expensive night sights.....I was also considering those standard steel glock sights.....

User

If you compete in IPSC, just remember that the 17L and 34 are too long and doesn't fit in the box so you will be shooting open division. Rather get a 17.

On the sights issue: have you looked what a difference a decent set of iron sights with a narrow front blade can do? With or without a fiber optic rod. I prefer a narrow front with a 1mm rod.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    If you compete in IPSC, just remember that the 17L and 34 are too long and doesn't fit in the box so you will be shooting open division. Rather get a 17.

On the sights issue: have you looked what a difference a decent set of iron sights with a narrow front blade can do? With or without a fiber optic rod. I prefer a narrow front with a 1mm rod.
    I think with the 34 you are relegated to Standard Minor.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ocali View Post
    I think with the 34 you are relegated to Standard Minor.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    Oops, sorry my bad. You are correct, it is the 17L and 24 which puts you in open div.

I doubt it will come back and bite me....Any second gun is a good thing...My last licence took 8 months...Who knows with the next one...and who knows what the future holds for licencing in general... .(and everything is just getting more expensive by the day here..!)
    Yes, any second gun is a good thing, but you need to use the firearm. If it was licensed under section 15 or 16, you need to use it for sport. There is no section to license a firearm to keep as a backup, or for spare parts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast