User

Default Suppressor Help Needed : Battling with solving POI change

Hello All,

Seasons Greetings.

I have a Sako A7 M in .3006, had the barrel threaded by a reputable Centurion Gunsmithing company and bought a Silent Hunter suppressor.

I am failing to diagnose the problem with POI. Without the suppressor, on paper and at least a 2inch grouping (100m). With the suppressor on i have no

idea where the shot is going. Would a bore siting tools help or get an A0 size target and perform zeroing at 100m?

Regards

Clinton

User

Default Re: Suppressor Help Needed : Battling with solving POI change

shoot it at 25m with the suppressor on, and first get your POI on POA. Then take it out 100m for final adjustment.

User

Some people are luck and some are not. A suppressor often changes your POI and your zero needs to be adjusted.

From personal experience, the Silent Hunter is seriously heavy and I would not buy one ever again. I had one on an old 308 and it ruined the rifle. It was so heavy that it completely changed the harmonics of the barrel. I put on a lighter suppressor and my issues were resolved.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Clinton, there can be several reasons for your trouble:

- Misaligned/faulty suppressor:
    Check the front side of the suppressor. If it is bulged, chipped or somehow deformed, it is probably the reason for the wild shots. Also check the inside of the suppressor for damage to the baffles.

- Disturbed harmonics:
    A suppressor usually impacts the POI. I have read about better and worse accuracy after suppressors were fitted. Maybe try to test it with another suppressor? That should rule out a few things.

- Check for contact between the stock and the barrel when the suppressor is in place. Although it is unlikely, it should not be ruled out.

User

A reaction rod will confirm bore/baffle alignment. Its possible you might be getting slight baffle strike.
    Its usually the first suspect with big POI shifts.

If you zero at 50 meters on a A4 sheet, then add a suppressor, and your POI is not on the paper, there is a problem with the suppressor.

Change it.

I allways recommend Gunwarrior. They are not made out of stainless steel, so theoretically they may not be as durable, but I've yet to see one worn out. It will last the life of the barrel anyway.

My 308 VSSF has off course a Varmint Fluted barrel on. If I fit my Ase Sl5. I see zero change in POI.
    Maybe lucky due to varmint barrel.

If your adding a weight to the end of a long barrel. It does pull the barrel down. The longer the barrel the greater this effect.
    Its Archimedes who proofed this point.

Could also be a faulty silencer. But then you will see the baffles with marks on where the bullet touched.

Could also be that your gunsmith had a bad day and threaded skew.

Banned

Due to the inertia of a heavier object on the tip of the barrel, the chances are greater that the stock touches the barrel. At least 1mm or more should make for a safe gap between the two.

User

There is really good advice on this thread and i feel that all points have been covered.

My old 6.5x55 shoots sub MOA groups all day long with an old,heavy steel suppressor. The group shifts 8 inches high and 2 inches left without the suppressor. Nothing to worry about. Just be aware of the fact.

But yes,make sure all is good as per previous posts. Easy to do.

User

Another possibility: Your bullets may yaw slightly when leaving the barrel, resulting in slight contact and poor accuracy. Your 2" unsuppressed groups are not really in line with what can reasonably expected from a Sako shooting preferred ammo.
    I have opened up the holes through several suppressors, in order to get them to group, even where there were no visible signs of bullets touching the baffles.
    The threads can be skew, leading to a misaligned suppressor. Look through the barrel from the rear and see how concentric the can sits.
    I have seen suppressors that were threaded skew.
    Did you re-zero the rifle after the threading job? The 'smith probably stripped everything off the rifle before threading it, then re-assembled it after. Also check that everything is as tight as it should be.

Let's go Sarel !!!