Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default First SA casualty in Mozambique

The SANDF said the incident occurred on 20 December when SANDF members deployed under Operation Vikela came under attack from insurgents during an ambush around the area east of Chai village in Cabo Delgado province. The members managed to fight through the ambush, but while at the rendezvous point awaiting a helicopter evacuation, they were again attacked by the insurgents and an SANDF member was shot and declared dead on the scene.

The mortal remains of the member were flown back to the SAMIM Chai Tactical Base, SANDF spokesman Brigadier General Andries Mahapa said in a statement.
    “A further investigation is being conducted to determine the extent to injuries of personnel and loss of equipment during this unfortunate incident.”

It is believed that several other South African soldiers were injured in the attack, and that the members involved were from Special Forces. If confirmed, this would be the first Special Forces member killed in action since Corporal H Carstens during the Border War in April 1989.
    The SANDF said the Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Thandi Modise, the Deputy Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Thabang Makwetla, the Secretary for Defence, Sonto Kudjoe, and the Chief of the South African National Defence Force, General Rudzani Maphwanya, extend their heartfelt condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the deceased.

Several Mozambican soldiers are also believed to have been killed and wounded during the attack, which comes amid an uptick in insurgent activity in Cabo Delgado. Mozambique’s defence minister Cristovao Chume said Mozambican and SAMIM soldiers on 19 December stormed a rebel base and killed ten insurgents in Cabo Delgado.

There have been several attacks in the last two weeks in the Macomia district of Cabo Delgado – Chai is just north of Macomia.

President Filipe Nyusi said last week that Mozambique had witnessed fewer jihadist attacks this year than last, after Rwanda and Southern African Development Community (SADC) countries intervened to help tackle an insurgency which has killed more than 3 000 people.

“We were able to reduce terrorist attacks by three times,” he is reported by Agence France Presse as saying. While in 2020 the country registered just over 160 attacks, but that number was reduced to 52 in 2021, he said, thanks in part to Rwandan and SAMIM intervention.
    Several SAMIM soldiers have died on duty in Mozambique – some due to accidents and some due to combat. Botswana, Lesotho, Tanzania and now South African have all lost personnel.

Source: https://www.defenceweb.co.za/feature...in-mozambique/

User

Default Re: First SA casualty in Mozambique

Maybe its time to get a Rooivalk or 2 in the air for support, If only we could raise the funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Maybe its time to get a Rooivalk or 2 in the air for support, If only we could raise the funds.

I don't expect any are air worthy. I'm surprised they had a chopper to evacuate the team.

Sad news to lose a sandf member.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I don't expect any are air worthy. I'm surprised they had a chopper to evacuate the team.

Sad news to lose a sandf member.
    Such a sad situation, I remember when they deployed 2 Rooivalk helicopters in CAR under the UN a few years back, those rebbels didnt stand a chance

User

South Africa was warned by ISIS not to meddle in their affairs in Mozambique....

I expect that the shit will soon hit the fan in SA. I can still remember the news article where they stated they have sleeper cells in SA...

Our military has not been part of any war....you can expect more casualties as these soldiers have ZERO war combat experience

User

Just for interests sake.
    I was working up the top end of Kruger (Makukele Concession) over the first week of November - next door (west) is a huge SANDF training area apparently used by SF mainly. We were about 500m from that area's boundary with KNP and 100m from the Limpopo when I heard a lot of firing from probably 5km away, initially 81mm, followed by large volume of small arms fire (distinctly rifle and LMG) interspersed with smaller explosions (60mm or grenades) - typical 'attack on an enemy base' stuff. Mentioned it to others and suggested it was SF training prior to deployment to Moz. They did another oefening about an hour later - same thing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Just for interests sake.
    I was working up the top end of Kruger (Makukele Concession) over the first week of November - next door (west) is a huge SANDF training area apparently used by SF mainly. We were about 500m from that area's boundary with KNP and 100m from the Limpopo when I heard a lot of firing from probably 5km away, initially 81mm, followed by large volume of small arms fire (distinctly rifle and LMG) interspersed with smaller explosions (60mm or grenades) - typical 'attack on an enemy base' stuff. Mentioned it to others and suggested it was SF training prior to deployment to Moz. They did another oefening about an hour later - same thing.
    Thats just the thing....training and experience are to different things...its easy to shoot....but can you shoot back while being shot at???

Thats why in my comment I said there will be many more casualties these guys are not ready for war....

Im pretty sure our soldiers are not at all well trained not well equipped.

And why exactly are we even there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Im pretty sure our soldiers are not at all well trained not well equipped.

The general Army types, yes. However, I suspect they would have deployed 5SFR first, and their training and equipment was always way better.

Let's go Sarel !!!

User

SF will always be the first ones deployed, receive the lion's share of funding etc. It is certain that SA SF are trained and equipped to perform the tasks assigned to them. History though, is replete with operations not going according to plan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast