Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do I need to apply for a new competency?

My competency certificate was issued in June 2011 and I did not purchase a firearm as yet. Now that I feel that I am ready to purchase a firearm, I have had mixed advise. My DFO suggested that I should renew my competency while others said that a competency does not expire unless it is allocated to a firearm license. Now I am confused and uncertain on who's advice I should listen to.

User

Default Re: Do I need to apply for a new competency?

Quote Originally Posted by nishan View Post
    My competency certificate was issued in June 2011 and I did not purchase a firearm as yet. Now that I feel that I am ready to purchase a firearm, I have had mixed advise. My DFO suggested that I should renew my competency while others said that a competency does not expire unless it is allocated to a firearm license. Now I am confused and uncertain on who's advice I should listen to.
    As far as I know if is linked to an expired license you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

User

The way the act is written, there is no mechanism for expiry without linking to a firearm.

SAPS systems, however, still seem to expire them after 5 or 10 years.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ocali View Post

OP says that no firearm has been purchased yet, so no license.

As for the validity IMO it’s not valid any longer. The DFO does not do the final approval/disapproval. I would re apply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Apologies just relooking at my response, horrendous and I can't seem to edit it.

If it isn't linked to an expired license you should be okay.

User

Incorrect info, if you don’t use it you lose it basically. Generally if you don’t get a license within 5 years they will ask you to re apply.

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Incorrect info, if you don’t use it you lose it basically. Generally if you don’t get a license within 5 years they will ask you to re apply.

Good to know . Also there was that change over from government to private institutions training /issuing of certification and such

User

Good to know . Also there was that change over from government to private institutions training /issuing of certification and such

Ask your DFO to looking the system. What I have seen there is a tab under your profile that states competent yes/no.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

A competency from 2011 will not be valid anymore. No matter what technicalities can be discussed, CFR will not grant you a license with it.

User

My competency Card expired in 2009. In 2010 i went to work abroad and gave my brother my Shotties as we lived on the same property and hunt together so I'd at least be able to use them with him.

I applied last year Sept for a new shottie and the license was approved on Friday.

I've purchased and licensed numerous firearms since 2009 with that same competency Card(3 last year alone).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast