Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Softening the thump of a 308

I’m looking to soften the thump of my 308W for my 13yr old daughter, she enjoys shooting with me and is reasonably proficient with my 308 as well as my 303 and is keen to hunt something but my 308 loaded with 150gr Bullets is still a bit much for consistent accuracy for her. So a a question for those in the know (I don’t as I am very comfortable with heavy for calibre Bullets - I mean anything under 180gr out a 30Cal makes me nervous) will a 125gr hunting bullet 1) reduce recoil considerably 2) be adequate for impala, blessbuck or warthog?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Default Re: Softening the thump of a 308

1) No, not if you load it to its potential. Perhaps if you download it to the speeds you use for 180gr (should be around 2450fps)...
    2) I'm sure a 125gr at 2450fps will kill those just fine.

is it really the thump that bothers her? is it not the concussion? if its the physical recoil, have you considered a softer recoil pad (adding a Pachmayr Decelerator changed my ZKK competely).

do you have other (perhaps surpressed) rifles for her to practice fundamentals with, after which she just shoots one or two "counting" shots with the 308? she probably doesn't need a whole range session at a time with it, if you've got softer shooting alternatives?

User

I've added a suppressor and external mussel break on my 308 which has reduced the recoil substantially. I was shooting 180gr but I'm reloading 155gr coz my barrel is 1/10 twist which they say works better with 155gr. This I hope will also reduced the recoil even more.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

User

It could be the concussion, but she shoots my 303 without an issue, my 22 is in the shop getting some work done and I have nothing smaller that’ll do, I am also thinking it time to perhaps thread and add a silencer.

Banned

Cody load when he was 6 years old. 125 gr Sierra SP - CCI large primer.
    39 gr S335 and a COL of 66.5 mm gave a velocity of 2350 fps max and I see notes here of 2200 fps as well ???. Was 2015, long time ago dunno why the 2 readings.
    Shot a 1 cm group at 100 m
    I only shot small wart hog with it, but I would honestly be quite happy to shoot a kudu behind the shoulder double lung shot at 100 m type ranges - the hole is still a deadly hole, destroyed lung tissue. I doubt the bang flop DRT will occur though.
    Blessbuck - Yea. Kudu - yea. Impala - ummmm ? I am scared of Impala they just do not seem to understand they supposed to fall over when dead.

I planned to get some ballistic tips, but by the time the 125 gr Spitzers bullets were used he was already using full power loads.

When downloading, I like to use the 55 gr .223 bullet F/lb energy as the cut off point for hunting - about 2200 f/lb. The 125 gr bullet will give you a bigger hole and 1500 f/lb abouts, something near a 243 and a 90-95 gr bullet, which as w know has downed many a animal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    It could be the concussion, but she shoots my 303 without an issue, my 22 is in the shop getting some work done and I have nothing smaller that’ll do, I am also thinking it time to perhaps thread and add a silencer.
    Should have been done before she shot first shot

User

Ya. None of my guns have silences.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Cody load when he was 6 years old. 125 gr Sierra SP - CCI large primer.
    39 gr S335 and a COL of 66.5 mm gave a velocity of 2350 fps max and I see notes here of 2200 fps as well ???. Was 2015, long time ago dunno why the 2 readings.
    Shot a 1 cm group at 100 m
    I only shot small wart hog with it, but I would honestly be quite happy to shoot a kudu behind the shoulder double lung shot at 100 m type ranges - the hole is still a deadly hole, destroyed lung tissue. I doubt the bang flop DRT will occur though.
    Blessbuck - Yea. Kudu - yea. Impala - ummmm ? I am scared of Impala they just do not seem to understand they supposed to fall over when dead.

I planned to get some ballistic tips, but by the time the 125 gr Spitzers bullets were used he was already using full power loads.

When downloading, I like to use the 55 gr .223 bullet F/lb energy as the cut off point for hunting - about 2200 f/lb. The 125 gr bullet will give you a bigger hole and 1500 f/lb abouts, something near a 243 and a 90-95 gr bullet, which as w know has downed many a animal.
    Thanks for the data

Banned

Ya. None of my guns have silences.

Like shock, horror ! Really? In this day and age ?

Treeman leaves the stage, shaking head, muttering under his breath.

Banned

I’m looking to soften the thump of my 308W for my 13yr old daughter, she enjoys shooting with me and is reasonably proficient with my 308 as well as my 303 and is keen to hunt something but my 308 loaded with 150gr Bullets is still a bit much for consistent accuracy for her. So a a question for those in the know (I don’t as I am very comfortable with heavy for calibre Bullets - I mean anything under 180gr out a 30Cal makes me nervous) will a 125gr hunting bullet 1) reduce recoil considerably 2) be adequate for impala, blessbuck or warthog?
    Have you considered cast lead bullets? Lower speed = lower recoil and they kill just as dead.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast