User

Default airgun (pellet) used to shoot at birds considered pests

A friend of mine complained about someone in his neighbourhood using a pellet gun to shoot at pigeons. Section 120(7) says you need a good reason to discharge an airgun, but what constitutes a good reason? Is pest control a valid reason? Only the shooter considers them a pest, nobody else in the neighbourhood. I am not 100% certain on the species, but only indigenous pigeons like laughing doves, red-eyed doves and speckled pigeons have been seen in the area, no feral domestic pigeons.

Banned

Default Re: airgun (pellet) used to shoot at birds considered pests

I think this is a rather weighted topic and I hope the thread has value (and people leave this measuring aside).

I have never read up, so I am guilty of thinking by hearsay.

Firstly I would waiver a guess there are municipal bylaws as a factor.

Would it matter what species it is? That would be different to gun restrictions.

Also does he want to possible attention and investigation should someone complain?

To shoot any pest in a municipal area. You need permission from the Municipal clerk.

Although its not a firearm. The moment you shoot a pellet outside the border of your property you will have serious issues.

That pellet need to land somewhere. And if in a persons eye its serious trouble.

User

A friend and shooting buddy once did pest control for some of the malls and warehouses in the city. He concentrated on feral-and rock pigeons and indian mynahs.

AFAIK he had permits from SAPS, nature conservation (environmental affairs) and the municipality. He also kept his activities away from the public, operating only after closing hours.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    A friend and shooting buddy once did pest control for some of the malls and warehouses in the city. He concentrated on feral-and rock pigeons and indian mynahs.

AFAIK he had permits from SAPS, nature conservation (environmental affairs) and the municipality. He also kept his activities away from the public, operating only after closing hours.
    As A-R said, public participation as low as possible and nature conservation/police clearance and permits needed. If you are working in a urban area, same except public in area of possible concern need to be informed and notices given, this usually results in complaints and delays.
    Its a murky, grey area of just do it versus getting permits and then still trying to keep it low key.
    We shot in warehouses and just could not get permissions (SAPS) till I motivated the process by pointing out that we were completely contained in a indoor facility using a weapon incapable of escaping the building.After a brief back forth between 3/4 cops we were given permission - nothing in writing, just a "its Ok we know about it, you may proceed". Nature conservation was much more precise and exact, but easier to deal with, basically we gave a description of problem, alternatives tried and species to be targeted. They gave a very specific list and place, time etc permit stating that (numbers ??) 40 Rock pigeons per day and unlimited Feral pigeons for the period of one month between sunset and sunrise may be shot.
    I had same thing with geese and also Dassie twice.

Info about 15 - 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Although its not a firearm. The moment you shoot a pellet outside the border of your property you will have serious issues.
    You also cannot shoot an airgun on your property if it is in a built-up area.

Read S120(7) of the FCA .
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew1 View Post
    A friend of mine complained about someone in his neighbourhood using a pellet gun to shoot at pigeons. Section 120(7) says you need a good reason to discharge an airgun, but what constitutes a good reason? Is pest control a valid reason? Only the shooter considers them a pest, nobody else in the neighbourhood. I am not 100% certain on the species, but only indigenous pigeons like laughing doves, red-eyed doves and speckled pigeons have been seen in the area, no feral domestic pigeons.
    An arbitrary decision of what constitutes “pest control” will not suffice as good reason. Without the relevant permits in place he will be in breach of the FCA and your friend would theoretically be able to take it further.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.