Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Suggestions to reduce recoil for 375 H&H

Suppressor, Brake, more weight to the rifle or sell it and get a 308 are about your best options, in no specific order. IMO a suppressor on a rifle that is intended for open sights defeats the object. I'd probably go the weight to rifle or 308 route myself. I'm basically deaf in my left ear from a brake, not my own so I hold a grudge there...

As a side note i've never understood the big bore alure for plains game hunting in ZA. It became quite a craze a few years back and I'm thinking that's what drove the 375 prices up so high when compared to standard calibers( there wasn't always this huge difference in price). I am not recoil shy as I used them a lot in the past. I use them when in DG territory hunting DG only now. I hunt larger species with a 338 sometimes but much prefer my milder shooting calibers. I shoot them more hence I'm more accurate with them. I am therefore confident in my shooting of them and the enjoyment level goes up. If I could only have 1 rifle in SA it would definitely not be a big bore...

That said il contradict myself and say one can never own too many rifles!

User

Some thoughts...
    - For some big bore caliber fans, the idea of a silencer or brake on a big bore borders on sacrilege...Note objective opinion
    - I am aware that certain people do go the silencer/break route on their big bores for medical reasons as well - we do have it at BASA
    - However in contrast to above, it is your gun, your subjective opinion matters more than the rests objective opinion. If it will make you use your weapon more go for it...caveat below...
    - I noted only 1 person mentioning the "recoil reducer lead slug" - this lead capsule is put into the stock and externally the rifle looks the same - seriously consider this
    - Generally Sauer, Steyr and Sako's ("S's"_do not have a good reputation rifles that have less recoil than say a CZ in same caliber. Horses for courses since the majority of the S's are built for European conditions, meaning light weight built to be carried in mountains and snow. However they do make "african" models that are heavier, straight stock etc. It could be your rifle is the former and just a tad lighter, stock as mentioned not straight etc.

I would not put a a silencer or break on it, I would learn to shoot it, not use it of bench that much and leave it as is. However it is your gun, do what you want in order to shoot it, however beware, should you put a break/silencer on it and you then realize you do not like it, it was a bad idea, you will have the rifle with mod and needing a new mod to remove it, or you will have to sell it, which then leaves you with less people (read less, not none) wanting to buy such a rifle.

Thanx for the feedback.

I will try the gun on shooting sticks.

Zimbi has a mercury recoil reducing product which is currently out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Zimbi has a mercury recoil reducing product which is currently out of stock.
    in the context this made me giggle

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Suppressor, Brake, more weight to the rifle or sell it and get a 308 are about your best options, in no specific order. IMO a suppressor on a rifle that is intended for open sights defeats the object. I'd probably go the weight to rifle or 308 route myself. I'm basically deaf in my left ear from a brake, not my own so I hold a grudge there...

As a side note i've never understood the big bore alure for plains game hunting in ZA. It became quite a craze a few years back and I'm thinking that's what drove the 375 prices up so high when compared to standard calibers( there wasn't always this huge difference in price). I am not recoil shy as I used them a lot in the past. I use them when in DG territory hunting DG only now. I hunt larger species with a 338 sometimes but much prefer my milder shooting calibers. I shoot them more hence I'm more accurate with them. I am therefore confident in my shooting of them and the enjoyment level goes up. If I could only have 1 rifle in SA it would definitely not be a big bore...

That said il contradict myself and say one can never own too many rifles!
    I was on a hunt two year ago where one of the guys wanted to shoot an eland. He hunted very hard for three days with no luck. On the last day's afternoon we managed to approach the eland herd. He was carrying a 308 loaded with 180gr Sako Hammerheads. The only shot he had was on a large cow which was quartering forward. The shot hit the main joint and did not make it to the vitals. He managed to put her down after 45 minutes.

I own a 308 myself and hunt everything with it, but sometimes you need / want a larger gun for certain situations.

User

I was on a hunt two year ago where one of the guys wanted to shoot an eland. He hunted very hard for three days with no luck. On the last day's afternoon we managed to approach the eland herd. He was carrying a 308 loaded with 180gr Sako Hammerheads. The only shot he had was on a large cow which was quartering forward. The shot hit the main joint and did not make it to the vitals. He managed to put her down after 45 minutes.

I own a 308 myself and hunt everything with it, but sometimes you need / want a larger gun for certain situations.
    I agree. The best compromise is to get a 9.3x62. That extra voema, but delivered nicely.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I agree. The best compromise is to get a 9.3x62. That extra voema, but delivered nicely.
    The joys of a 375 is you can download to 9.3 specs 🤣
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Thanx for all the inputs and calls.

The rifle is quite heavy and shooting it freehand is fine.

The stock in not a straight pull like the CZ stocks and this may add to the felt recoil.

I will try it again on a raised platform.

Does anyone know who sells viper flex shooting sticks? Wildman in Kimberly does not stock it anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns and Bows in Cape Town is now the SA agent for Viperflex.

The pricing has become prohibitive in my opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3