Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Suggestions to reduce recoil for 375 H&H

Hi

I bought a 375 H & H in a Sauer 202. License came through in August 2021 and I was only able to shoot in last week. I realised that is was true what everyone was saying that a 375 has some recoil especially shooting from a bench.

The Sauer is a very nice refile and it handles great. I really want to shoot it more, but the recoil it a bit much especially after 15 shots. The rifle does have a good recoil pad.

I am pondering on putting on a muzzle break or silencer or combination like the sustac ones. I will like some inputs what other options are availble which does not involve cutting a thread into the barrel?

User

Default Re: Suggestions to reduce recoil for 375 H&H

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Hi

I bought a 375 H & H in a Sauer 202. License came through in August 2021 and I was only able to shoot in last week. I realised that is was true what everyone was saying that a 375 has some recoil especially shooting from a bench.

The Sauer is a very nice refile and it handles great. I really want to shoot it more, but the recoil it a bit much especially after 15 shots. The rifle does have a good recoil pad.

I am pondering on putting on a muzzle break or silencer or combination like the sustac ones. I will like some inputs what other options are availble which does not involve cutting a thread into the barrel?
    Heavier stock will help absorb recoil. I wouldn't put a suppressor on it, but that is my subjective opinion. You must remember that the rifle chambered in that cartridge is not meant to he shot off a bench a lot, it is a hunting cartridge so and handful of shots from various shooting positions is what it was meant to do.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Hay 264WM, can you WhatsApp me and I’ll call to chat, but don’t bench it, you need to be able to roll with the recoil. Also consider your loads.

My number is zero 72 six one 3 5301

User

I would suggest a silencer and maybe lighter loads if you are not going to hunt buffalo.
    270gr and come down to a low MV where you do not fall below 80% case vol fill and get good accuracy.

Just my opinion.

Banned

You dont want to experience pain when benching. Protect your shoulder with a folded up towel or get a shoulder pad (Google shoulder pad for shooting). Also restrict the amount of shots. Sitting more upright also helps to mitigate felt recoil.

I prefer a hunting rifle to have a good balance and reasonable weight. Dont mess that up with brakes or silencers. When shooting whilst hunting, recoil is not a problem, as you can move with it in a standing position and you dont shoot long strings.

People on Range is going to hate you with a passion for years to come if you fit a Muzzle brake on it and use it on range.

User

Consider a Mercury Recoil Reducer in the stock. Will increase weight.
    Otherwise try shooting it off shooting a sticks to help roll with the Recoil.
    You won't feel that Recoil while in the veld with your adrenaline going
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

A friend of mine have a Sauer mod. 90 in .375 H&H and it is the most unpleasant .375 I have ever shot. It is light, which will have an influence but the stock also does not fit me. I do not know if the Sauer 202 have a similar stock and weight.

The suggestion to stay away from the bench is a good one. Unless you use it for long range hunting (300m+) it can be sighted in, and practiced with, very effectively from shooting sticks. Either the Viper Flex or the 4deadhold sticks with the extra front leg will allow you to do this, with a bit of practice, you can practice with a .22 or an air rifle until you have managed the sticks.

Shooting from the standing position over shooting sticks make a huge difference to felt recoil.

Nobody shoots full load big bore from the bench.

The traditional rifle shooting stance is also incorrect for a big bore, you need to position yourself and hold so that the shot moves your whole upper body, not just the shoulder.

I once saw a Youtube clip that illlustrated the concept very well, but can't find it now.

The best way to mitigate recoil is by adding weight to the stock with lead. Wood is removed from the butt or from the inside of the fore-end, and filled with lead shot and epoxy. I had 1.5 kg added to my very light [ 8 pound ] 500 Jeffery like that, and after that I could shoot it again.

In the meantime, get yourself a PAST recoil pad for your shoulder, and learn the correct stance.

User

Good points being made .I know of two hunters so far who use their 375 for non DG hunting, both threaded with suppressors, and seem to be happy. One uses it on his annual Eland hunt .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast