Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Suggestions to reduce recoil for 375 H&H

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Good points being made .I know of two hunters so far who use their 375 for non DG hunting, both threaded with suppressors, and seem to be happy. One uses it on his annual Eland hunt .
    I would not put a suppressor on a .375 H&H hunting rifle. But then, to put that into perspective, I would not put a suppressor on any hunting rifle. For a year I hunted with two suppressed rifles, a .300 win mag and a 7x57, I then concluded that the only real advantage of a suppressor, on a hunting rifle, is that it protects your hearing. I chose an alternative option to achieve that because I believe that the disadvantages of a suppressor on a hunting rifle far outweighs this single advantage.

If I could not live with the recoil of a hunting rifle by other measures, I would opt for a muzzle brake over a suppressor. However, I have to admit, I am very much part of the minority with this conviction.

Banned

Will list my thoughts.

First and for most, the stock if the stock is Monte Carlo or dropped at the pad its gonna fuck you up like a boxer in a pub brawl - every time. Those are open sight stocks and meant for doing the job, not bench shooting and target practice sessions.

Weigh the rifle, if its considered light or sporting weight, remember that boxer, same story. Thats the start of a big gun, heavy = less recoil.
    My .270 weighs 9 lbs, my .458 is about 11 lbs, bit heavy to carry a extra pound or two, but it works.

Just forget a muzzle brake - like just forget it.

At the bench raise your shooting platform, I use a backing tin under my shooting bag. Raise the rifle rest till you sitting straight up, leaning down into the rifle at normal bench height will hurt you faster than you like to admit in front of the boys. YOU WILL DEVELOP A FLINCH UNLESS YOU A BIT SLOW IN THE MENTAL DEPT>

12 shots is toooo much Rambo, I shoot 8 max on the .458 and I start getting that mental message that tells me its not so much fun anymore. (some Oe's just do not feel recoil - or they lie)

Suppressors work - THEY REALLY WORK. Unless the rifle is some collectible or classic, suppress it, it just makes sense, lots of it.
    Ask Pre 64, but shout, and try shout from the left side

My .270 is suppressed and balanced with window putty in the stock, shoots a smile every time.
    My .458 has a steel suppressor and a wider laminated stock, it is heavy for sure but 13 year olds shoot it for shits and giggles.

Get some of that foam that they use for roll up camping mats, usually blue or yellow, glue two layer and stitch some of that black waist band elastic in a loop that stretch's over arm and fits tight on around shoulder onto it. When shooting at the range slip this onto shoulder, it really takes the bite out of any caliber.

Check that stock - its usually the biggest problem.

User

If the problem is bench shooting, one option will be to have a Cadwell lead sled shooting stand. One can weigh the stand and reduce the felt recoil while shooting from the bench. In the field positions recoil is not usually a big problem with the 375 at least.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Thanx for all the inputs and calls.

The rifle is quite heavy and shooting it freehand is fine.

The stock in not a straight pull like the CZ stocks and this may add to the felt recoil.

I will try it again on a raised platform.

Does anyone know who sells viper flex shooting sticks? Wildman in Kimberly does not stock it anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

My 2c fwiw...

I have a CZ .375. I use it mostly for bushveld hunts and shoot mostly smaller game - Impala, warthog, njala and (hopefully soon) kudu.

I know it's major overkill - but being blind to the colour red - I'm a little useless at following blood tracks!

So with that as background.

Find a suitable load/combination for it's intended purpose.

Go to the range 2,3,4 times if necessary for load development. The heavier your bullet - the heavier the recoil! I shoot 250gr BTTSX.

Suitable for everything I ever plan to hunt - at this point.

Once you've sorted your load - the worst is past.

You don't feel recoil in the bush.

A .375 isn't suited to shooting from a bench.

It gets uncomfortable.

Ironically - my .375 cured me from the dreaded flinch!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

User

So, I recently received the license for my CZ in 458 Lott. Let nobody tell you it doesn't recoil with authority, it actually makes my 9.3 feel quite tame. Even off shooting sticks you really don't want to be shooting too many full power loads with it. However sometimes you actually need to spend some time shooting from a bench to adjust sights or refine loads. The mere idea of this was singularly unpleasant but I am actually getting ahead of myself.

About a year and a half ago when I was stuck at home with nothing to do but bleed retirement savings I got the idea to build my own recoil reducing shooting rest that would not potentially damage the stock on a heavy recoiling rifle like the Led Sleds sometimes do if weighed down too much. Having built this rest that uses a somewhat different means of dissipating the recoil energy I recently got the opportunity to put the device to the test and it worked much better than I had anticipated.

10 rounds of full power hunting loads and another 5 with lighter practice bullets and my shoulder did not have a mark on it. This of course was in stark contrast to a bruised, tender shoulder gained from shooting 13 rounds of full power ammo of my Nordiske shooting sticks three weeks prior. With the rest I don't dread shooting the rifle off the bench when necessary. I guess what I am getting at is that a shooting rest that mitigates the effects of recoil is a must for any firearm that produces uncomfortable recoil, especially during load development and sighting in of optics.

In the field, you will not notice the recoil and very likely never even hear the shot go off. Hearing is important though so money spent on some higher end moulded passive ear plugs will not ruin your pocket but will save your hearing in the long run whilst still allowing you to hear the sounds around you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    So, I recently received the license for my CZ in 458 Lott. Let nobody tell you it doesn't recoil with authority, it actually makes my 9.3 feel quite tame. Even off shooting sticks you really don't want to be shooting too many full power loads with it. However sometimes you actually need to spend some time shooting from a bench to adjust sights or refine loads. The mere idea of this was singularly unpleasant but I am actually getting ahead of myself.

About a year and a half ago when I was stuck at home with nothing to do but bleed retirement savings I got the idea to build my own recoil reducing shooting rest that would not potentially damage the stock on a heavy recoiling rifle like the Led Sleds sometimes do if weighed down too much. Having built this rest that uses a somewhat different means of dissipating the recoil energy I recently got the opportunity to put the device to the test and it worked much better than I had anticipated.

10 rounds of full power hunting loads and another 5 with lighter practice bullets and my shoulder did not have a mark on it. This of course was in stark contrast to a bruised, tender shoulder gained from shooting 13 rounds of full power ammo of my Nordiske shooting sticks three weeks prior. With the rest I don't dread shooting the rifle off the bench when necessary. I guess what I am getting at is that a shooting rest that mitigates the effects of recoil is a must for any firearm that produces uncomfortable recoil, especially during load development and sighting in of optics.

In the field, you will not notice the recoil and very likely never even hear the shot go off. Hearing is important though so money spent on some higher end moulded passive ear plugs will not ruin your pocket but will save your hearing in the long run whilst still allowing you to hear the sounds around you.
    Sounds interesting.
    Would you mind posting some pics of your rest?

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Sounds interesting.
    Would you mind posting some pics of your rest?
    Good morning, the rest was built as a proof of concept prototype and is currently with a company who are refining the design for possible mass production in the near future so at this point I don't really want to post pictures. If it is financially viable to produce and succeeds in the market I might just get back some of the retirement savings I had to spend to survive during the hard lockdowns we had.

To the OP, apologies for the thread hijack.

Good morning, the rest was built as a proof of concept prototype and is currently with a company who are refining the design for possible mass production in the near future so at this point I don't really want to post pictures. If it is financially viable to produce and succeeds in the market I might just get back some of the retirement savings I had to spend to survive during the hard lockdowns we had.

I agree with your approach. You have to keep in mind the blatant copying by Chinese firearm accessories. It amazes me that items like Atlas Bipods, for $180 can be almost perfectly replicated and sold for $29 on Amazon.

My advice is to try and recoup your investment over the first batch sold, because if they are good, they will be copied. And patenting isn’t worth what it costs. Speed to market and scale is all that counts with innovations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

Fully understand.
    All the best with the venture

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast