Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Ryobi HBT-254L table saw blade alignment issue

Hi everyone

I recently bought one of these Ryobi HBT-254L table saws on special. After setting it up and making a few cuts, I noticed that there is something way off with the blade and riving knife alignment, as indicated in the pictures below:

Riving knife alignment (front):

Riving knife alignment (top):

Blade alignment (front):

Blade alignment (back):

It can be seen that the riving knife is completely skew relative to the blade. I can only adjust it around its pivoting point, thus changing the angle of the entire riving knife blade relative table top. I cannot find a way to "unskew" it and to align it perfectly with the blade.

Furthermore, the blade itself is not completely parallel to the mitre gauge slot. As can be seen in the pictures, there is about 2-3 mm difference in the measurements between the front and back of the saw (measured from the same saw blade tooth). (I hope that makes sense )

My question now is - should I look further into trying to adjust the riving knife and the blade, or just return it for another machine?

User

Default Re: Ryobi HBT-254L table saw blade alignment issue

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    Hi everyone

I recently bought one of these Ryobi HBT-254L table saws on special. After setting it up and making a few cuts, I noticed that there is something way off with the blade and riving knife alignment, as indicated in the pictures below:

Riving knife alignment (front):

Riving knife alignment (top):

Blade alignment (front):

Blade alignment (back):

It can be seen that the riving knife is completely skew relative to the blade. I can only adjust it around its pivoting point, thus changing the angle of the entire riving knife blade relative table top. I cannot find a way to "unskew" it and to align it perfectly with the blade.

Furthermore, the blade itself is not completely parallel to the mitre gauge slot. As can be seen in the pictures, there is about 2-3 mm difference in the measurements between the front and back of the saw (measured from the same saw blade tooth). (I hope that makes sense )

My question now is - should I look further into trying to adjust the riving knife and the blade, or just return it for another machine?
    I'd start with a new machine on the assumption that QC was poor on this one and that there could be other problems not yet visible.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I'd start with a new machine on the assumption that QC was poor on this one and that there could be other problems not yet visible.
    Makes sense to me, thanks. These are indeed 2 issues that I feel really slipped through QC that can cause big problems. And yes, there might be other problems as well hiding.

A Table Saw is handy as heck. BUT!!!!! Dangerous as F...k if used improperly or if something wrong.
    As with a Cut off Saw.

I would take it back for them to sort out.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

The problem is right there in the first word of the title of this thread.

Sorry.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid when it comes to precision tools (table saw, miter saw, router) Ryobi is trash. They're ok for drills and maybe lawnmowers, but anything that requires precision is a no go.

I've been burnt before, I bought a circular saw that I basically had to throw away. It's totally useless. The guide doesn't align with the blade and that doesn't align with the foot piece. And the only real way of adjusting is by bending metal.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jager View Post
    I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid when it comes to precision tools (table saw, miter saw, router) Ryobi is trash. They're ok for drills and maybe lawnmowers, but anything that requires precision is a no go.

I've been burnt before, I bought a circular saw that I basically had to throw away. It's totally useless. The guide doesn't align with the blade and that doesn't align with the foot piece. And the only real way of adjusting is by bending metal.
    i hear you all regarding Ryobi's quality. Perhaps it's sometimes luck of the draw, since I have a number of other Ryobi power tools that I am more than happy with.

To be fair, I didn't expect absolute precision with this saw, since I bought it purely for some hobby/DIY stuff. But in this case those 2 issues are really deal breakers, especially when it can cause some safety issues such as kickback.

Banned

If there is no other choice you could disassemble and reassemble it. Sometimes, something like a nut has been put on back-to-front and by simply fixing it you have a running piece of equipment.

However, since it is new and came with a bent blade, just take it back. If a finicky salesman get wind of your attempt at fixing things, you might even loose the warranty.

Just take it back.

User

Does the blade spin perfect, no wobbles. but the alignment is skew to cutting hole in table top. Check on the elec motor mounting if all bolts a tight and the problem is not the motor that is mounted skew.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    Does the blade spin perfect, no wobbles. but the alignment is skew to cutting hole in table top. Check on the elec motor mounting if all bolts a tight and the problem is not the motor that is mounted skew.
    The blade spins perfect and has no wobbles. It looks like the motor is just mounted skew. Perhaps it is not such a tricky thing to fix, but I am wary for other unknown things that could also be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast