Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Ryobi HBT-254L table saw blade alignment issue

Alignment with the top of the riving knife is not to important as you should never have a cut engaging the knife above the saw blade (actually impossible).
    Important thing is that the riving knife is behind the blade and will hold any cut open to prevent pinching on the rear of the blade and hence kickback.

More importantly is that the blade is aligned with the fence (for ripping) and mitre slot (for cross cuts) as if this is not the case you will get burning of the wood at best case and kick back at worst.

Best way to measure this (assuming your blade is flat) is to get a 1m rule and place it against the blade body making suite not too contact any teeth. Now measure the distance of the ends of the rule and the fence or mitre slot. If they are equal then your alignment is good enough for wood work.

Don't know about the ryobi but every table saw I have seen had a way to adjust this. Some adjust the motor / blade while others keep this static and allow you to adjust the the table position.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Alignment with the top of the riving knife is not to important as you should never have a cut engaging the knife above the saw blade (actually impossible).
    Important thing is that the riving knife is behind the blade and will hold any cut open to prevent pinching on the rear of the blade and hence kickback.

More importantly is that the blade is aligned with the fence (for ripping) and mitre slot (for cross cuts) as if this is not the case you will get burning of the wood at best case and kick back at worst.

Best way to measure this (assuming your blade is flat) is to get a 1m rule and place it against the blade body making suite not too contact any teeth. Now measure the distance of the ends of the rule and the fence or mitre slot. If they are equal then your alignment is good enough for wood work.

Don't know about the ryobi but every table saw I have seen had a way to adjust this. Some adjust the motor / blade while others keep this static and allow you to adjust the the table position.

Thanks very much for your input.

The method you explain is very similar to the method that a number of guys on YouTube demonstrate. However, they measure the distance from the mitre slot to a particular blade tooth at the front. Then using the same tooth (by rotating the blade accordingly) that same measurement is made at the back of the blade/saw. This is exactly what I did and I measure a difference of about 3 mm.

Many guys speak about loosening particular bolts called "trunions" to make the adjustments. However, nowhere in the Ryobi manuals (or even online) do I find anything about that for this particular saw. In the case of the cabinet-type table saw (my saw type being the "contractor type") they adjust the table position while the motor position is fixed.

User

Yeah you can use it the blade only but your precision is easy less as you are measuring the error over only the length of the blade (probably 10 inches). Remember you ate measuring the angle that it is out. You measure an angle with a protractor directly but a more precise way is to measure the deviation over the length (remember trigonometry at school). So the longer the "length" the easier it is to measure tiny deviations in the "width".

That said though if you are measuring a full 3mm difference just over the blade length then it is way way out. I would not even accept a 1mm deviation using the 1m ruler method never mind a 250mm blade.

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Yeah you can use it the blade only but your precision is easy less as you are measuring the error over only the length of the blade (probably 10 inches). Remember you ate measuring the angle that it is out. You measure an angle with a protractor directly but a more precise way is to measure the deviation over the length (remember trigonometry at school). So the longer the "length" the easier it is to measure tiny deviations in the "width".

That said though if you are measuring a full 3mm difference just over the blade length then it is way way out. I would not even accept a 1mm deviation using the 1m ruler method never mind a 250mm blade.

Thank you, I think you did the final convincing needed for me to just go and exchange the machine for another one. Guess what will be the very first thing that I will measure then...

User

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    Thank you, I think you did the final convincing needed for me to just go and exchange the machine for another one. Guess what will be the very first thing that I will measure then...
    Your welcome. But for the record no matter what table saw you buy that should be the first thing you measure

Ryobi is a heap of rubbish. Rather do not get any of the Chinese crap.
    Spend a bit more and get something decent.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    Any particular suggestions perhaps?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    Ryobi covers a hell of a lot of ground and have various ranges that address different markets and price ranges. While I agree that the low end stuff is generally flimsy and more for effect than real life use their contractor focused offerings are a good price/quality trade-off IMO. A big plus is that their local backup and support is excellent. A friend who had a garden service as a side gig for a bit ended up using their stuff exclusively as they would repair/replace with no questions asked.

Banned

But a Triton workstation. You'll thank me later

User

I've got a Hammer C3 and more than happy with it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2