Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: WD40 in/on guns?

Excuse me but... Why would anyone lube their weapons with anything else but lubricants meant for firearms if they are available to buy? I've never could figure this out... It can not be the cost, for example for a Glock pistol you need five drops and for an AR you need no more than 10 drops of Slip 2000 to lube the whole weapon, five or six drops more if you wish to clean your barrel which you never do to your Glock because it's absurd, hence the 118 ml bottle lasts for years. You really don't need to wash your weapons with oil... I do wash my guns when needed for example if they have been in contact with sea water (a boating accident again), but then I use almost steaming hot water.

But if times get tough and the ships won't sail, any motor oil will do the trick and is readily available, oil for diesel engines have the bonus of carbon residue diluting additives, that's why the oil inside a diesel engine is always black. You'll just have to clean the oil off more often because of the cleaning properties plus these oils are harmful when swallowed so better take care of hand hygiene when playing with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    Hi DS

Slip2000 EWL or Lucas Extreme ? (mostly AR)

Was 50:50 last time from the 2 guys at Hailstorm as to which one.
    Just interested in your thoughts ?

PS, personally ive seen no difference in usage
    Mark,

Personally as well I have seen no difference in use results and I would happily use the one or the other

I have used both their oils and grease.

Grease on AK's.
    Oil on pistols and self loading rifles.

I really cannot say one is better than the other and could not see a difference.

Both products stay in the guns for extended periods. Neither become gelly or tacky after extended periods of non-use (even 2 years and more). My EDC gun gets lubed now and again an may even not get extra lube after 2 or 3 range sessions and several weeks of carry, it will still be sufficiently lubed.

I have used Slip2000 for more than 8 years and Lucas for about 3 years now.

In hot summer weather, for my EDC pistol, I like to use Slip2000 EWL30 which has a bit thicker viscosity and I feel it will exhibit even less tendency to run off compared to EWL or Lucas but I must say I have never had an issue using either of the latter two and ending up with a dry gun.

I usually default to these articles when someone ask me why Slip2000 or a dedicated gun oil is gooder:

https://slip2000.com/blogs/news/s-w-...zine-filthy-14

https://slip2000.com/blogs/news/s-w-...arbine-running
    Speed is important, but not at the sacrifice of accuracy, but being accurate needs to be fast enough.
    Jeff Gonzales - Trident Concepts

THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN.

"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law breaker, it breeds contempt for the law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy."
    Louis D Brandeis

User

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Available at Hailstorm.
    Thanks for the info DS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slip 2000 seems to be multi use. It lubricates as well as cleans. It penetrates rust and helps clear surface rust. Motor oil may lubricate but it does not clean or remove residue nearly as efficiently. Possible because it is thicker. Slip EWL Grease on slide rails and cam pins etc, works a charm.A bottle lasts a long time if you transfer contents to a needle point oiler. Factory dispenser wastes half of it. For long term storage as in decades Boeshield T9.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Slip 2000 seems to be multi use. It lubricates as well as cleans. It penetrates rust and helps clear surface rust. Motor oil may lubricate but it does not clean or remove residue nearly as efficiently. Possible because it is thicker. Slip EWL Grease on slide rails and cam pins etc, works a charm.A bottle lasts a long time if you transfer contents to a needle point oiler. Factory dispenser wastes half of it. For long term storage as in decades Boeshield T9.
    Also found the Eezox tins spill quiet a bit if care isn’t taken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

How much lubrication does a firearm actually need?

I lightly oil my firearms to prevent corrosion and wipe as much off before use as possible. During summer, you do not want an oily rifle at Atlantis shooting range.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5