Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default .375 H&H vs 9,3x62.

So as not to highjack .264winmag's thread.

Posted by Wesley:
    The best compromise is to get a 9.3x62. That extra voema, but delivered nicely.
    and by CorditeCrazy:
    The joys of a 375 is you can download to 9.3 specs ��
    I happen to own one of each and have done a fair bit of hunting with both calibers. With the 9.3x62, I've hunted animals ranging in size from jackal to eland, with the .375 H&H I have hunted warthog, antelope ranging from springbok to eland and one buffalo bull.

In the 9.3x62 I have loaded and hunted with 230gr Peregrine, 250gr Hornady GMX, 273gr PMP Solid and 286gr Hornady Interlock. In the .375 H&H I have loaded and hunted with 250gr Sierra Game King, 250gr Hornady GMX, 270gr Hornady Interlock, 270gr Barnes TSX and 300gr Peregrine.

Both are very capable all round rifles for warthog, antelope and (with proper bullets) buffalo (although there are areas where the 9,3 is not legal for buffalo) but I do feel that the .375 is the more versatile of the two. You can push any given bullet weight ±300fps faster from the .375 and that does help once you get past 250 meters.

Yes, the 9.3x62 is gentler on the shoulder than the .375 when fired from identical rifle. However, most 9.3x62 rifles are lighter than .375's and this does negate the difference. On the other hand, being lighter, my 9,3x62 is more pleasant to carry than my .375 H&H. Neither are bench rest rifles.

If you plan on using only cup and core bullets, the 9.3x62 is the better choice, the .375 H&H loaded to factory velocities are hard on bullets.

However, as CorditeCrazy mentioned, the ,375 H&H can very easily be loaded to 9,3x62 levels, the opposite is not true.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: .375 H&H vs 9,3x62.

And so TStone throws a cat among the pigeons.

So bullet diameters differ by .3mm. Nothing significant at all. Case capacity does differ significantly in favour of the 375, with the 375 having a higher pressure. I do remember reading in a Magnum article some time back comparisons were done on strait line penetration on DG calibers. I can’t remember if the 9.3 was there but I do remember that the 375 came in a very close second to the 416 Rigby.

I have not shot a 9.3 but can confirm that the 375 does thump when it comes to recoil, not many 9.3 owners moan about this. You can find 9.3 in standard length actions where the 375 general needs a longer action.

Both are more than adequate for any hunting and I would surmise that they are equal in the class they share.

BUT in the sprit of the thread I’m backing the 375 as being somewhat better than it’s older rival. If need be download your 375 to the anemic 9.3 specs 😈
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    So as not to highjack .264winmag's thread.

Posted by Wesley:

and by CorditeCrazy:

I happen to own one of each and have done a fair bit of hunting with both calibers. With the 9.3x62, I've hunted animals ranging in size from jackal to eland, with the .375 H&H I have hunted warthog, antelope ranging from springbok to eland and one buffalo bull.

In the 9.3x62 I have loaded and hunted with 230gr Peregrine, 250gr Hornady GMX, 273gr PMP Solid and 286gr Hornady Interlock. In the .375 H&H I have loaded and hunted with 250gr Sierra Game King, 250gr Hornady GMX, 270gr Hornady Interlock, 270gr Barnes TSX and 300gr Peregrine.

Both are very capable all round rifles for warthog, antelope and (with proper bullets) buffalo (although there are areas where the 9,3 is not legal for buffalo) but I do feel that the .375 is the more versatile of the two. You can push any given bullet weight ±300fps faster from the .375 and that does help once you get past 250 meters.

Yes, the 9.3x62 is gentler on the shoulder than the .375 when fired from identical rifle. However, most 9.3x62 rifles are lighter than .375's and this does negate the difference. On the other hand, being lighter, my 9,3x62 is more pleasant to carry than my .375 H&H. Neither are bench rest rifles.

If you plan on using only cup and core bullets, the 9.3x62 is the better choice, the .375 H&H loaded to factory velocities are hard on bullets.

However, as CorditeCrazy mentioned, the ,375 H&H can very easily be loaded to 9,3x62 levels, the opposite is not true.
    Ah you beat me to it. I believe the big reason the 375 became more popular than the 9.3 was the simple fact of Germany losing the first big punch up and not being able to get guns out.

User

I still don’t understand the appeal of those 2, in the year 2022 it’s purely an emotional choice not a performance choice. People just do not hunt buff, they hunt other stuff, T-stone himself shot endless animals with those and yet between the 2 buff legal cals he only shot 1 buff.

If you ask me, if the average person wants something bigger than a 30 cal the 338 is a much better choice, it can also be loaded slow and heavy , easily, but the plains game bullets in the 250gr range is just miles above the other 2 in terms of BC and SD.

Ag well, each to his own.

User

For the same reason people drive 80 series cruisers and Tdi Defenders. As you say because they can and it’s fun and for what most people do they are all equally matched.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I still don’t understand the appeal of those 2, in the year 2022 it’s purely an emotional choice not a performance choice. People just do not hunt buff, they hunt other stuff, T-stone himself shot endless animals with those and yet between the 2 buff legal cals he only shot 1 buff.

If you ask me, if the average person wants something bigger than a 30 cal the 338 is a much better choice, it can also be loaded slow and heavy , easily, but the plains game bullets in the 250gr range is just miles above the other 2 in terms of BC and SD.

I was expecting this. But for the average hunter who want a medium bore, and will never hunt buffalo, this is a very valid argument. I actually wouldn't mind having one.

User

I went on a quest to find another hunting rifle. I asked many questions and spoke to as many shooters / hunters as possible and read what i could.

The advice (which i didn't take) mostly given to me as a re-loader, was to get a 375 H&H because of the variety of bullet weights that could be loaded and the variety and size of game that could be hunted with one rifle. The 375 H&H was the best all rounder caliber.

Of everyone i spoke to, one shooter mentioned the 9.3x62

User

Ag well, each to his own.[/QUOTE]

Speak of the devil. I just reloaded 50 rounds this morning. Down from my 300 grainers to the 250 grainers again.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

Makes perfect sense. Same reason I am inclined towards the 7mm’s over the .30’s.

For me, it started by my interest in collecting the metrics. I also picked the rifle for a very specific job wanting to shoot slow and heavy cup-and-core bullets at close distances in the bushveld. I like stalking animals to as near as possible before having to take a shot. I thought I would one day hunt buffalo with it as well, but if that opportunity comes, I would much rather have a go at it with a .4something over open sights anyway.

Some call the 9.3x62 anemic, but on the basis of input vs return, I think the 9.3x62 does a better job than the hunt-anything-on-God’s-earth .375H&H. I have sort of come to love the 9.3’s as a gentleman’s 375.

If ever my wife wants to start hunting larger animals, the 9.3x62 will also be the right gun for her. She will be able to get prepared and hunt without getting beat up too much.

Thank goodness both exist! What else would we be talking about otherwise…?

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post

If ever my wife wants to start hunting larger animals, the 9.3x62 will also be the right gun for her. She will be able to get prepared and hunt without getting beat up too much.

Cheers,
    This is a very valid point. Also an excellent choice for female and recoil shy clients wanting to take on buffalo or even a large eland bull.

Some call the 9.3x62 anemic, but on the basis of input vs return, I think the 9.3x62 does a better job than the hunt-anything-on-God’s-earth .375H&H. I have sort of come to love the 9.3’s as a gentleman’s 375.
    So, some days I am a gentleman and others I am a savage? Beats being predictable, I guess?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast