Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Was reloading, had to face some realities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocali View Post
    How long can one keep it?
    Around 30 years ago I had a few old 303 rounds. I pulled one to see what the powder looked like, and shot the rest. It was cordite.

Cordite was last used in commercial ammo a very long time before that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post

My assumption is that as long as the ammo is dry stored somewhere that doesn't have wildly fluctuating temps it lasts pretty much indefinitely.
    Interesting... so safe to stock pile.. good to know..

Apologies for the slight derailing of the topic

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Banned

A colleague once mentioned that he always thought that he would go out at top gear. However, he stated with a smile, as he grew old he only made it up some hills in reverse gear.

Age is between our ears - up to a certain point; it also helps very much if one gets a strong handle on the stress factors in life.

Enjoy every day as if it is your last. Be ready to go at every minute.

Pray much, and chew your food well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Live every day, like it's your last.
    Cause one day, you can bet your life on it, trust me one this - it will be.

User

I remember hunting with an oom that was in his eighties. He complained that the worst thing about his recent heart attack is that his wife makes him "eat f-king vegetables".

So ja, I'm 51 now, so I think I'm going to draw up my ammo budget to last for at least another 30 years.

With that said, my Dad who was as a very fit 78 year old passed away abruptly from cancer and left aver 1000 bottles of well aged wine in his cellar. Every time I open a bottle I think of him and the sadness that I didn't get to share it with him. The only thing sadder than that is to be well in your 90's and run out of good well aged wine.

Banned

Well loaded, well stored ammo in a moderate climate can in my opinion last 60 years. I have shot .22 - 9 mm - 45 ACP and 303 - 7.62 from the 40 ties 50 ties, 60 ties 70 and 80 ties, there was no determinable difference from 40 ties to 80 ties in reliability, they were all unreliable and all usable.
    I had 2 nd world war and perhaps Vietnam 45 ACP ammo, whole box's shot fine and some box's had 1 or 2 that shot funny or did not go off.

.22 from the 80 ties - I have bricks of 500 Swartklip that shoot like bought yesterday. Had a lot of some brown box Fuggi or such from the 60 ties of which many failed and worse so the cases ruptured when fired. I also have had bank bags of .22 which I suspect from 80/90 ties that were palinly dangerous.

12 gauge ammo is the most affected by time10 15 year old 16 gauge is already clumped and sometimes just dead. Some kicks you half dead and some you get bored waiting for the load to leave the barrel.

I want to stock pile some hermetically sealed 12 G - varnished, front and back, vacuum packed.

User

Treeman , you gotta look to the future and not only on ammo supplies.

Me , i want to retire as work really interferes with hunting and fishing.After reading your post i sat down and worked out my finances and found that i will be able to retire with enough money when i reach 147 years old. I'm really excited about this.

User

Holding thumbs, ‘64…!

Classic Pre

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I want to stock pile some hermetically sealed 12 G - varnished, front and back, vacuum packed.
    I reload buck and slugs and put away 10% of everything I make for a rainy day. Gave this a bit of thought and figured that if the containers I stored them in were airtight I'd achieve the same result as sealing the shells. Have landed on Addis prong boxes bought on special.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast