Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bowling pin shooting with a. 22LR Rimfire Handgun

Good day.

Not sure where to ask this. I can swear there is/use to be a pin shooting topic.... But can't find it now.

Anyway, will a. 22LR handgun be sufficient enough to knock down pins? Little booger runs with High Velocity rounds. So they are fast but lightweight. I assume the pins will be around 10 meters down range.

Commonsense says that the top part will be the best place to hit to ensure it falls over. But the shooter is 10 years old and aiming for the thinnest part will be difficult.

Any REAL experience form users here?

TIA

User

Default Re: Bowling pin shooting with a. 22LR Rimfire Handgun

Not likely. More likely to just get stuck in the pin.

The .22lr events are shot using chopped off heads of the pins only - ie only the top part.

Even a .40sw struggles to get a pin from the front of the table clean off the back.

The above from one of our regular pin shooters from a year or two ago

Thanks for your reply

If I recall from my Pin Shooting days. They use to cut the top parts of the pins off. Those parts were then shot with a 22lr.

If you take the whole pin. An shoot on its tummy with a 9mmP and in cases with 357 as well. You will not even knock it over. In some cases you wont even think it moved. You have to hit it above tummy to get it to fall over.

In the 9mmP Pin shooting. The pin stands on a narrow bar. So it will just fall off. With larger calibers it usually on a table where its at least 500mm from rear edge. So you need to knock it over and in most cases hope it rolls off. Or you will need to shoot it while lying on side

Thanks Shooty. There is a informal event this afternoon, and my Boy wants to compete as well. I think I will rather let him shoot then with the Glock and buttstock inserted

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Thanks Shooty. There is a informal event this afternoon, and my Boy wants to compete as well. I think I will rather let him shoot then with the Glock and buttstock inserted
    Very addictive sport.

The 9mmP was usually called the 9pin tip over event. So 9 pins in line on beam you need to just let fall off.

Larger calibers was always 5 pins. On a double layered table. 3 on bottom one and 2 on top. Think 500mm or 750mm from the back of table.

This is how I recall it. Might have changed over the years.

As I kinda took up Claypigeon shooting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Very addictive sport.

The 9mmP was usually called the 9pin tip over event. So 9 pins in line on beam you need to just let fall off.

Larger calibers was always 5 pins. On a double layered table. 3 on bottom one and 2 on top. Think 500mm or 750mm from the back of table.

This is how I recall it. Might have changed over the years.

As I kinda took up Claypigeon shooting.
    This sport seems fun. Something I think I would enjoy .

Anyone know if any club in KZN is doing this ? Or where I can look.this up ?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ocali View Post
    This sport seems fun. Something I think I would enjoy .

Anyone know if any club in KZN is doing this ? Or where I can look.this up ?

https://www.sapinshooting.com/index....:uncategorised

User

Awesome thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Good day.

Not sure where to ask this. I can swear there is/use to be a pin shooting topic.... But can't find it now.

Anyway, will a. 22LR handgun be sufficient enough to knock down pins? Little booger runs with High Velocity rounds. So they are fast but lightweight. I assume the pins will be around 10 meters down range.

Commonsense says that the top part will be the best place to hit to ensure it falls over. But the shooter is 10 years old and aiming for the thinnest part will be difficult.

Any REAL experience form users here?

TIA
    Yes, I guess you could say I have REAL experience :). I have been participating in Pin Shooting for the past 20 odd years. A .22 handgun will knock a full sized pin over and off a narrow rail, or off the rear of a pin table, when using Standard or HV ammo. The pin should preferably receive a solid hit somewhere in the top 2/3rd, but even lower should still do the job. As said here, handgun pin shooting is typically done at pin heads, but for Pee-Wee's (below 13 years) the full pin is used. Pin shooting is a great way to get youngsters shooting. Pins, being reactive targets, can promote flinching. I would therefore stay away from centerfire handguns (i.e. 9mm) for a youngster. If he wants to shoots larger handguns, rather have him shoot at something such as IPSC cardboard targets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast