Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this legal?

Default Is this legal?

On the topic of ammo.

Is it legal to buy ammo off of someone who is not a dealer who no longer needs it as long as I have a license?

Spotted some scarce ammo I need but its from a private individual.

Cheers

Default Re: Is this legal?

The law is grey in this area, which is why we don’t allow ammo sales on GS.
    Not all who wander are lost.

User

Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. The law states

FCA

Definition: Transfer include selling, letting, donating, lending or otherwise parting with possession

31. (l) No person may trade in any firearm, muzzle loading firearm or ammunition without a dealer's licence.

31. (3) A person who wishes to sell or donate a fireararm, or a muzzle loading firearm, or ammunition in a collection, to a willing buyer or donate, as the case may be, may do so without the intervention of a dealer, [but] subject to the provisions relating to possession hereof in the Act, and such conditions as [the Designated Firearms Officer] may [determine} be prescribed …

120 (10) a Its an offense to sell, supply or in any other manner give possession of a firearm, muzzle loading firearm or ammunition to a person who is not allowed in terms of this Act to possess that firearm, muzzle loading firearm or ammunition; or …

What is the difference between sell and trade? Trade is usually a dealer that buy from supplier and sell to consumer every day in volume. Sell is usually a once off transaction.

SAPS told me that I can sell my FA to one person and the ammo to another person (acc to FCA, only illegal to sell to unlawfull person). But how this will stand in court and interpret by the law makers might be something different.

I'm waiting for the "learned people" to give you a clear answer

User

Buy something else from them and get the ammo free

Youtube Kentucky Ballistics.

One of the reasons not to buy ammunition from someone. Especially when its scarce.

Sometimes it goes boom.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Youtube Kentucky Ballistics.

One of the reasons not to buy ammunition from someone. Especially when its scarce.

Sometimes it goes boom.
    Yeah that whole incident has many layers. Not really the fault of the gun or the ammo. Just a shit load of variables that made a perfect storm.

He is lucky to be kicking. All things considered, he is lucky. His dad is a hero.

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Buy something else from them and get the ammo free
    Who says you can't buy a sheet of A4 paper for R50. Or whatever else

User

Australia has very strict gun laws, but they allow selling of ammo between licensed persons. If you transact with another person in RSA and he is a legal gun owner, I see no reason for it to not take place. Just dont advertise and who will know it happened.

As long as you have a license for the ammo, and he has a license for the ammo, you can buy it.

If he doesn't have the license anymore, technically it's illegal ammo, and he should pull all the rounds and decap them.

If he is dealing ammo as a private individual, that is his problem, not yours.

On a side note what ammo is it as a matter of interest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast