Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Q-bond removal

User

Default Q-bond removal

I am not sure if this has already been covered, if it has please direct me to the thread as i couldnt find anything using the search function regarding the removal of q-bond.

I have a pistol that the previous owner put q-bond on the trigger for better grip. Does anyone know how to remove this stuff? The trigger is aluminum and other information i have found says to try and dissolve the q-bond using acetone but im concerned this may also remove the original paint job and im not sure how aluminum will react to long time exposure to acetone (if i need to soak for a while). the other option is to scrape it off with a putty knife which will invariably lead to scratching the paint as well.

If i cant find a solution i may end up trying with a dremel or just buying a new trigger (it wont break the bank but its not cheap either...)

Any ideas anyone?

Default Re: Q-bond removal

Funniest thing I ever heard. Q-Bond on trigger for a better grip. lol

Acetone.

And then also water actually. Most super glues dissolve when its soaked in water for a bit.
    But you cant soak your firearm. LOL

User

QBond is mainly cyanoacrylate, and the best thing to break it down is Acetone as you mentioned.
    If you're willing to buy a new trigger, why not give the Acetone a try? It shouldn't affect the trigger as you said it is Aluminium and probably anodized. A well anodized product would not be affected by Acetone.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Funniest thing I ever heard. Q-Bond on trigger for a better grip. lol

Acetone.

And then also water actually. Most super glues dissolve when its soaked in water for a bit.
    But you cant soak your firearm. LOL
    I tried it out and you know what? It's not bad! Probably a lot of trial and error to get the right feel though. Its not my thing, I'd prefer to go back to stock on this one

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    QBond is mainly cyanoacrylate, and the best thing to break it down is Acetone as you mentioned.
    If you're willing to buy a new trigger, why not give the Acetone a try? It shouldn't affect the trigger as you said it is Aluminium and probably anodized. A well anodized product would not be affected by Acetone.
    Thanks, I might use a dremel for most of it and then do the soak and see how it goes.

User

This is a bit left field but q-bond gets brittle if frozen. You could stick the gun in a freezer for a bit and then work it off with a plastic chopstick or similar.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    This is a bit left field but q-bond gets brittle if frozen. You could stick the gun in a freezer for a bit and then work it off with a plastic chopstick or similar.
    That might be worth trying before i do the other stuff. Nothing to lose.

User

I have a can of Spanjaard Lectro Freeze - a spray application freezing whatever it touches. Normally used by electronics technicians to assist in fault-finding overheating components. This should work much better than a freezer, it's applied at the spot needed and its quick.

Another brand I have used is called something like Freeze-40

Communica, Mantech, and other electronics shops should be able to assist.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    I have a can of Spanjaard Lectro Freeze - a spray application freezing whatever it touches. Normally used by electronics technicians to assist in fault-finding overheating components. This should work much better than a freezer, it's applied at the spot needed and its quick.

That's a more better idea. Gas lighter refill held upside down would probably do the trick too and be easier to get at a local shop.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post

Do you think there could be adverse affects to the aluminum to rapidly freeze only a small option of the piece like that? would i inadvertently make it brittle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast