Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Refurbish Mauser 1917

Hi all. I saw a post a while back of someone in JHB that refurbishes firearms and had great references. I have searched high and low and can’t seem to find it. I’ve recently purchased a Mauser 1917 7.62x51(.308) rifle that I will be using for hunting. Firearm is pretty good condition but wooden stock needs some work and may just do full overall if I can find the right person to assist. Any guidance will be much appreciated

Banned

Default Re: Refurbish Mauser 1917

Do you want to try to diy it? Sanding and oiling a stock is really not that difficult.

User

I can't imagine paying someone to do a stock refinish. It's simple and rewarding and will save you a bunch of money, if done by someone who does it right, as its time consuming. Many videos on yoochoob that you could refer to.

User

I unfortunately don’t have the tools nor patience for this due to the fact I need to cut the stock slightly short. The sanding and oil/varnish I wouldn’t mind doing myself but easier to do all at once

User

Fair enough. I'm sure someone will come along with a recommendation of who to take it to.

Banned

Get hold of Oom Gert Odendaal here on site, (less often theses days).
    Gert's passion in regard to old things and their preservation is painful to the average "throw away" consumer. He may be able to do it for you as part of what he does and loves or guide you through it yourself.
    If you want I will request permission to share his number with you.
    He is also on You Tube in regard to plants trees, the great trek and making things, with firearms being in the forefront.

Likely one of the most informed intelligent capable persons you are likely ever to converse with - his knowledge is astounding as a understatement.

User

Treeman that would be amazing, thank you

I have heard of and read about Glen Cronje doing refurbs on old rifles. Will send you his details on PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

sent to you

User

Quote Originally Posted by rowanshadow View Post
    I unfortunately don’t have the tools nor patience for this due to the fact I need to cut the stock slightly short. The sanding and oil/varnish I wouldn’t mind doing myself but easier to do all at once
    Yours is most likely an Israeli Mauser- meaning being rebarreled from8x57js to 7.62x51.
    I have an 1916 mauser with post second world war sporter stock that we can possibly swop stocks if that can work for you ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast