Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Refurbish Mauser 1917

Quote Originally Posted by rowanshadow View Post
    Hi all. I saw a post a while back of someone in JHB that refurbishes firearms and had great references. I have searched high and low and can’t seem to find it. I’ve recently purchased a Mauser 1917 7.62x51(.308) rifle that I will be using for hunting. Firearm is pretty good condition but wooden stock needs some work and may just do full overall if I can find the right person to assist. Any guidance will be much appreciated
    Sounds like an Israeli Mauser that you have. The action may have 1917 markings, but the barrel is from the 1950's. The 7.62x51 NATO cartridge was adopted around 1954.

The rifle has little collector value, so you can modify it to your heart's content.

Cutting the stock needs to be done with the right tools and skills, including fitting a new recoil pad. For refinishing the stock you need some emery paper in various grades, a small bottle of London Oil or similar (ask you gun shop) and some elbow grease. Doing this yourself will keep the cost bearable.

Also consider fitting a new synthetic stock that has the correct comb height for scoped use. And maybe have the action drilled and tapped for a scope base.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Yours is most likely an Israeli Mauser- meaning being rebarreled from8x57js to 7.62x51.
    I have an 1916 mauser with post second world war sporter stock that we can possibly swop stocks if that can work for you ?
    Thanks Finkelstein. Happy to look at that. Please send me pics on 0828860845.

User

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback and guidance. Really appreciate it! Awesome group of people on this forum

User

So I collected my rifle yesterday after having it refurbished. One thing I can say, Glen Cronje is a genius with these! The time and effort he put into it far exceeded my expectations so for that, thank you Sir. He cut the stock, sanded all varnish off and oiled it up to a beautiful mirror finish. Had a recoil pad made to size which looks spectacular! Bedded the rifle with a perfectly even float, stripped and refurbished the bolt, trigger assembly and touched up bluing on the barrel. This post is to give credit where it is due, and this man deserves it! Thank you Sir! You are a scholar and gentleman and it was a pleasure dealing with you!

User

Good to hear, and enjoy the rifle.

How long did it take to refurbish as described?

User

Roughly 5 weeks, he wanted to ensure the grain on the would had sealed properly. Very happy with turn around time as it was within what was agreed due to Glen having some hunting trips booked within the time frame. All clearly communicated upfront.

User

Sounds fair.

Of course all of this is highly speculative, as it could only have happened if there is pictures to prove it...

User

Files too big to upload, happy to send via WhatsApp or I’ll try load from Laptop later

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2