Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: SAIGA. 223 MK-VER-03 VS smith and wesson m&p 15-22

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Several guns. That's the problem with hobby guns. Most don't shoot them enough. You will never get it with a Saiga or a Colt AR.
    I do agree that most don't shoot them enough, but in my experience the cheaper guns are generally as good as more expensive guns given their intended purpose. Now I do agree that with cheaper guns they have to cut corners a little to get the cost down which is why we see more out of spec and parts breakages, but an in spec gun will run just the same and as long as a more expensive gun.

The problem are those shortcuts which seem to be cropping up more and more. I mean as an example I have an early M&P Sport 1, if i compare it to the newer Sport 2's there a multitude of short cuts being used to keep the costs down compared with their early guns.
    Although my gun isn't a good example, as it's only a M&P Sport in name due to 1. the amount of rounds I've shot, and 2. tinkering with guns is my thing.

User

So my two cents:

As you are new, go with the S&W as a start. Its cheap and a great training tool. Get yourself a 223 later after you are more into sport shooting. BUT make no mistake, you will end up with more then one SLR anyway. Maybe you prefer a more compact - Pistol caliber carbine later, or who knows. Anywho - they way I see it is that you wont be upset with buying the S&W. Bias declaration, I have a .223 and recently bought the S&W M&P .22lr....

User

I have a 223 semi (LM) and its an amazing rifle. I've used it in IPSC rifle matches. I also have the S&W 15-22.

The 223 is nice for rifle matches, the S&W 15-22 is nice to plink, have fun and shoot rifle matches that don't have long ranges. Mini rifle matches are also great fun and the rifle is cheaper to run.

From a backup standpoint, i'd take the S&W. If you want a dedicated 223 rifle, then rather look at a AR platform, as everyone has mostly stated. Re-loading for 223 is easy enough to do as well and will greatly reduce the cost of ammo, so you can shoot more and more often.

Go and watch a few rifle matches and you will quickly see what works and what doesn't. You also don't need to go spend R45k on a AR when a cheaper known brand will do the same job.

Out of the two. I'd take the S&W 15-22 over the Saiga 223

My next buy is also going to probably be one of the two guns that the OP mentioned...

The S&Ws are fairly easy to find.
    But I've been looking around for a saiga and i can't seem to find any besides one at THQ for 20k which is double the price of the S&W... I always was under the wrong impression that the saigas were in the 14/15k margin.

Saiga MK102 will be much more fun. Most folks to enter sport shooting is for fun not by any means of intent to become a Olympian anyway.

I have a saiga 223 and an m&p sport 2.
    I wasn't a fan of the AR initially, but now I would go with the AR platform every time. Find AKs to be old school (heavy, clunky, not ergonomic, limited upgradeability).
    ... But then again, there's something mafia about shooting an AK fast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3