Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default New or second-hand firearm?

I am about to purchase my first firearm under S13.

I am stuck with the difficulty of choosing a firearm and the cost . I am leaning towards a P10C FDE , a new firearm is going for just over R11500 and used around R10k. My point of confusion is: Is saving R1500 worth it? Would I now have to pay storage costs , possibly buying a worn-out firearm, and maybe a firearm that has been used for criminal activities?

Is purchasing a used gun a good idea?

User

Default Re: New or second-hand firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by SibuMolo View Post
    I am about to purchase my first firearm under S13.

I am stuck with the difficulty of choosing a firearm and the cost . I am leaning towards a P10C FDE , a new firearm is going for just over R11500 and used around R10k. My point of confusion is: Is saving R1500 worth it? Would I now have to pay storage costs , possibly buying a worn-out firearm, and maybe a firearm that has been used for criminal activities?

Is purchasing a used gun a good idea?
    Only you can say whether it's worth it or not. With a R1500 difference between two identical models, one used and one not, I would go with the new firearm as the R1500 isn't that big a difference, especially once you factor in storage fees and transfer costs that you may be charged.

I have two, one new and one used. The used I bought was about R3500 cheaper than the new price, hardly used, and came with a lot of accessories (holster/mags etc) that would have cost me more to buy on top of the new price.

User

At only R1500 difference go with the new gun and the backup and support from the dealer you are buying it from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
    Only you can say whether it's worth it or not. With a R1500 difference between two identical models, one used and one not, I would go with the new firearm as the R1500 isn't that big a difference, especially once you factor in storage fees and transfer costs that you may be charged.

I have two, one new and one used. The used I bought was about R3500 cheaper than the new price, hardly used, and came with a lot of accessories (holster/mags etc) that would have cost me more to buy on top of the new price.
    It makes sense, I thought maybe I am missing something, the offers I have seen are around R1000 less at most R1500 than the new gun price.

With the holsters and mags the deal is sweetened

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu Ric View Post
    At only R1500 difference go with the new gun and the backup and support from the dealer you are buying it from.

Thank you , unless something extraordinary comes up

User

I also suggest taking the time to contact dealers and get pricing.
    The exercise saved me around R3500 on a brand new FA.
    There are plenty dealers about.

User

Sorry if this is not on topic, but there's a couple of Gun shops whereby you can "pay off" the firearm interest free over a period of 4, 6 and even 12 months while you wait for your license, just saying that is also an option to consider, because honestly I don't believe that your license will be approved in less than 5 months.

Sent from my Castle using horseback

User

Quote Originally Posted by Branden88 View Post
    Sorry if this is not on topic, but there's a couple of Gun shops whereby you can "pay off" the firearm interest free over a period of 4, 6 and even 12 months while you wait for your license, just saying that is also an option to consider, because honestly I don't believe that your license will be approved in less than 5 months.
    I've seen those, just be aware that some of the interest free offers come with the caveat that you must 'purchase' the motivation from that store.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
    I've seen those, just be aware that some of the interest free offers come with the caveat that you must 'purchase' the motivation from that store.
    True, I've bought my Glock 19X there I don't see it all being negative because you still get a comprehensive professional motivation with the added R860-00.
    FYI my application is on 163 CALENDAR days and still not approved.

https://safarioutdoor.co.za/blog/6pa...nce-your-dream

Quote Originally Posted by BB13 View Post
    I also suggest taking the time to contact dealers and get pricing.
    The exercise saved me around R3500 on a brand new FA.
    There are plenty dealers about.
    Ill do this R3500 can definitely get me a safe, proper holster and maybe an extra mag

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast