Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: AR OPTIONS? Not many choices it seems...

What happened to all the Norinco CQAa?

Those things ran like diesel trains

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post

They do seem to have disappeared. Come to think of it Norincos more generally seem to be few and far between nowadays.

User

I am waiting for a 10.5" Norinco, bought second hand. I will be happy if it runs like the 14.5" one I had
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post

They got expensive, apparently.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    The only real extra piece if kit I would advocate for is a better drop in trigger. Stock standard ones are really not great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Stag Arms is still 100% standard except I had to install a adjustable gasblock because the original was totally over-gassed to the point of ripping a chunk out of some of the cases rims. I don't use mine for bench rest shooting so my standard slightly polished trigger is good enough for me.

It appears that AR's enter our market in waves of different manufacturers.

User

I purchased a DM-4. Here's my initial impressions. Great option for the money.

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...st-Impressions

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    You don't need all the extra rubbish on an AR. A bog standard quality AR is far superior to all these mall ninja tacticool AR's.
    I agree but most dress up their dolls the way they like because they can, not because they need to.
    What do see as a standard quality AR and a mall ninja tacticool AR? This could be great advice to a prospective AR owner ;)

User

Having been around the forums for a while now.
    What I've noticed is that there tends to be a new thread every few months asking about what brand or type of AR to get.

What my experience is with people who own AR's in SA is that most don't even shoot them enough to warrant really worrying about quality per se. I sure you don't want to buy a gun that is going to shit the bed in 1000 rounds, but the expected barrel life and to a lesser extent bolt life of an entry level gun generally wouldn't be the thing holding one back.

So my thoughts on this is find a gun be it cheap or expensive so long as it fits your budget and have at it.

Sincerely a guy who's first AR was a "cheap one", 2nd was a gucci build and 3rd in a new fancy calibre.

User

Totally agree but there is a difference between longevity and reliability. Some ARs are more reliable than others and this is basically the knowledge that is needed.

As you mention, few people would be able to comment on longevity.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    Totally agree but there is a difference between longevity and reliability. Some ARs are more reliable than others and this is basically the knowledge that is needed.

As you mention, few people would be able to comment on longevity.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Fair enough, but then how often do you hear of x brand of AR being unreliable? I can think of one, but from what I've read and seen it seems to have been rectified.

To be honest off the top of my head thinking back to when the old Colt SP1's first made an appearance here till now, I can't really think of a brand or model of AR that had a reputation for being unreliable bar that one example, maybe rough, over gasses, cheaply made, etc but not unreliable.

Wonder if anyone anyone can think of a specific brand over that time that was as described? I can't.

Sure you will get lemons, across brands, heck I've even dealt with a Radian that had a burr in the chamber causing hard extraction and brass damage...

So my opinion still stands that the chances of having an unreliable gun are fairly slim, not impossible, but to me when buying an AR my first assumption is that it will be reliable.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast