Thread: Earmuff advice

User

Default Earmuff advice

Good day everyone. I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice if you don't mind. I'm looking for low profile ear muffs that I can use along with my earplugs for multi-gun shoots. I have slight hearing loss in that range so I'd like to "double wrap" so to speak. What brand/model/make works well when shooting rifles? I cannot go to shops to fit them so I'll have to order online. Your advice is great appreciated.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Earmuff advice

I double plug with my MSA Sordins and have not had any issues with it shooting rifle or shotgun. I make sure the contoured relief (cut out) is on my right to ensure clearance for the butt stock. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I am also going through this exercise to ensure my hearing does not deteriorate. Looked for MSA Sordins, could not find.

I’m waiting for a set of Cens Active Inner Ear Plugs and will cover up with Peltor’s. Although the Sordin’s look good, the Peltor’s have served me well over the last few years shooting everything from Clay’s to IPSC matches.

If you do decide to go with Cens, the right person to get them from is an Audiologist lady in Pretoria. A few of my mates have had less than stellar service from the known supplier in the industry in the past.

My plan is to always have the Cens in as soon as shots start ringing at the range. (Before I used silicone plugs, but inevitably they come out during scoring and patching and the odd shot would ring nearby.) I also can then wear a wide brimmed hat for most of the day. As part of my routine before I go on a stage, I’ll switch to a cap and add the Peltor’s.

I look forward to trying to hunt with the Cens as well.

Pricey exercise, but much better than the alternative. Like we protect our vision, we should do the same for hearing. I can only imagine the challenges one will endure later on in life due to hearing loss.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Pricey exercise, but much better than the alternative. Like we protect our vision, we should do the same for hearing. I can only imagine the challenges one will endure later on in life due to hearing loss.
    Couldn't agree with this statement more. Who wants to lose efficacy of a sense? I'm always amazed when I see people with R150k or more of shooting gear and little to nothing spent on eyes and ears.