User

Default D-Tac Oryx QRB plate carrier - any owners?

Greetings GS'rs,

I've been shopping for a plate carrier for a while now, perused all the historical threads on GS - followed up on what was available and suggested (some from 2016 /18) - and have semi-decided to go for the D-Tactical QRB plate carrier.

Was wondering if there were any other owners of this Plate Carrier system that wouldn't mind sharing feedback and perceptions on?

How do you find fit; do you run side plates; fit with your choise of plates; QC; etc.

Will appreciate Much, thank you...

https://images.app.goo.gl/bpMR8LM62RmUs4Bj7

User

Default Re: D-Tac Oryx QRB plate carrier - any owners?

Maybe get hold of Dez and Alex at Cerberus Tactical and they might be able to share some insight?

https://cerberustac.co.za/140-vests-...-armour?page=3

User

So the intent is to support them (further) when I make the purchase, as well as the side plates.

That said - the salesperson might not always be the most "objective" when it comes to product feedback. Was hoping there would be a forum member who purchased one and would be happy to share their experience with...

Otherwise - I guess that person will be me, and feedback shall then follow. ( I'm only back in SA mid-March though, so my purchase will be around that time).

Cheers JhbBoy

User

@Sicario - did you end up making a decision on this as yet?

I spent a bit (read a lot) of time messing around with the QRB, talking to a couple of owners and, of course, perfomed my regular (insomnia-induced) research of the various plate carriers available locally.

My 2c on the matter is that the QRB is one of the best of the local bunch and is, at worst, on par with the US-made plate carriers that we have available to us here in SA. At the price point it is a very good alternative to the Condor range and the fit and overall finish of the D-Tactical items in general is very good. I know of chaps who have sold off their more expensive products and replaced it with D-Tactical items.

Where I think they've got things going for them is with the range of accessories. If you look at any of the big US brands they are all focusing on building "systems". By that I mean they are producing plate carriers as the starting point with all the add-ons you could wish for as the extras. D-Tactical have the same concept and range to support just about any configuration needed.

I believe the QRB was the first locally made PCs to combine velcro and clips on the front so that you can change the "load out" as the "mission" dictates. Yes, I am using air quotes because I am using these terms loosely.

In any case, don't think you'll be unhappy with the QRB as a plate carrier if you do decide to go that route. Just try and avoid going "full molle" as you tend to tack tons of things on and before you know it, you have the kitchen sink on your carrier and you're unable to move!

Where my issue comes in is with the lack of options on the plates side of life. I like the idea of NIJ certified plates as there's some level of certainty that they can indeed provide the level of protection they claim to. Also, it again speaks to the consistency in manufacturing and therefore there's some guarantee that all products coming off the line are generally free of defect in manufacture and materials.

The NIJ certification process is extremely costly so even in the States not many manufacturers submit their plates for testing but instead list their plates as "compliant". The two things are not anywhere near the same.

Here at home we don't - to my limited knowledge - have any published benchmark for armour testing and rating. This means that we're taking the word of the manufacturer that the plates they make are up to the task to protect against the advertised calibres. This makes me feel uneasy, especially with regards to the composite stuff! Steel being steel is general well-known to be hardy so there's science behind it but that does mean it's adding weight and brings into the conversation the need for spalling to protect against the round ricocheting up into your melon after striking the plate.

I'm stuck at this point so cannot offer any comments; hoping that some of our more experienced members can share some insights and information about the what plate options we have locally and what's worth betting your life on.

User

D Tactical is very popular with local air softers. I was under the impression it’s mass produced Chinese manufactured.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    @Sicario - did you end up making a decision on this as yet?

I spent a bit (read a lot) of time messing around with the QRB, talking to a couple of owners and, of course, perfomed my regular (insomnia-induced) research of the various plate carriers available locally.

My 2c on the matter is that the QRB is one of the best of the local bunch and is, at worst, on par with the US-made plate carriers that we have available to us here in SA. At the price point it is a very good alternative to the Condor range and the fit and overall finish of the D-Tactical items in general is very good. I know of chaps who have sold off their more expensive products and replaced it with D-Tactical items.

Where I think they've got things going for them is with the range of accessories. If you look at any of the big US brands they are all focusing on building "systems". By that I mean they are producing plate carriers as the starting point with all the add-ons you could wish for as the extras. D-Tactical have the same concept and range to support just about any configuration needed.

I believe the QRB was the first locally made PCs to combine velcro and clips on the front so that you can change the "load out" as the "mission" dictates. Yes, I am using air quotes because I am using these terms loosely.

In any case, don't think you'll be unhappy with the QRB as a plate carrier if you do decide to go that route. Just try and avoid going "full molle" as you tend to tack tons of things on and before you know it, you have the kitchen sink on your carrier and you're unable to move!

Where my issue comes in is with the lack of options on the plates side of life. I like the idea of NIJ certified plates as there's some level of certainty that they can indeed provide the level of protection they claim to. Also, it again speaks to the consistency in manufacturing and therefore there's some guarantee that all products coming off the line are generally free of defect in manufacture and materials.

The NIJ certification process is extremely costly so even in the States not many manufacturers submit their plates for testing but instead list their plates as "compliant". The two things are not anywhere near the same.

Here at home we don't - to my limited knowledge - have any published benchmark for armour testing and rating. This means that we're taking the word of the manufacturer that the plates they make are up to the task to protect against the advertised calibres. This makes me feel uneasy, especially with regards to the composite stuff! Steel being steel is general well-known to be hardy so there's science behind it but that does mean it's adding weight and brings into the conversation the need for spalling to protect against the round ricocheting up into your melon after striking the plate.

I'm stuck at this point so cannot offer any comments; hoping that some of our more experienced members can share some insights and information about the what plate options we have locally and what's worth betting your life on.
    From something I read recently from defense web IIRC correctly, Armscor has their own space at BPT and other plate and Kevlar manufacturers here in SA to run in house tests on the products

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    D Tactical is very popular with local air softers. I was under the impression it’s mass produced Chinese manufactured.
    Yeah, it is marketed towards the airsofters - who I might add - probably put this type of gear through much harder and sustained use than us regular EDC-ers.