Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EYE protection

Default Re: EYE protection

I go to Jonssons WorkWear and buy there safety glasses. Various colours. But I buy the lens called Day night. Got very slight tint in.

The SABS Specs on it exceeds safety specs for shooting glasses.

Cheap and Durable. Always have extras in shooting bag if someone forgot theirs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    The SABS Specs on it exceeds safety specs for shooting glasses.
    I went down the eye pro spec rabbit hole a while back and found that there are a number of international specs for ballistic protection and could not find a 'cheap' model that matched the ones that the more expensive brands conformed to. I haven't got the material to hand but I think it came down to differences in the velocity and weight of projectiles that would be stopped. The ANSI industrial spec, see the info graphic below, doesn't inspire confidence especially if you shoot on steel.

User

As I am amost blind in my right eye, I tend to be extra protective of the one that still works.
    so this is a HUGE issue for me ...

Please make sure you are using "Ballistic-Rated" Safety Glasses which are designed to provide impact protection beyond common industrial safety standards, because we are exposed to projectiles that travel at speeds far greater than your typical industrial debris.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    Do you have some sort of prescription inserts that you wear them daily or do you use them as alternatives to traditional sunglasses?
    Alternative to sunglasses as everyday Eyewear and I wear contact lenses, do my eyes are more sensitive to light

There are a number of brands available with US ballistic ratings for shooting sports such as some Rudy Project models and they are multipurpose (they could function and look like cycling sunglasses, but come with premium pricing. ESS Crossbow shooting glasses are available at under R1k, ballistic rated, available at Sunglass Hut/Edgars stores and made by or linked to the Oakley brand with optional add-on features. Cerberus Tactical also has a range of proper ballistics rated shooting glasses at very reasonable prices. I witnessed a squad member injured by shrapnel on the side of his face when standing in (what we all thought) was a safe spot. 10mm higher and it would have hit his eyepro - he admitted that he was going to replace his eyepro because they weren't ballistic rated and the 20mm cut on his cheek made him realise how easily it could have been his his eye and one piece of shrapnel/ricochet can easily change your life permanently.

User

About three weeks ago a shooter on my detail took a bullet fragment off steel to the finger that travelled approx 100mm and lodged in his palm. I'm sure that would have been more than enough to take an eye out. I'll save money on a hell of a lot of things before I skimp on top tier eye pro.

User

you dont need to spend top dollar to get good ballistic protection. what you spend the money on is for comfort, scratch resistance, looks, brand name, etc.

https://paratus.info/2017/11/28/eye-protection/

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    you dont need to spend top dollar to get good ballistic protection. what you spend the money on is for comfort, scratch resistance, looks, brand name, etc.

https://paratus.info/2017/11/28/eye-protection/
    Awesome, thanks for sharing!

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    About three weeks ago a shooter on my detail took a bullet fragment off steel to the finger that travelled approx 100mm and lodged in his palm. I'm sure that would have been more than enough to take an eye out. I'll save money on a hell of a lot of things before I skimp on top tier eye pro.
    Good grief that sounds awful. Handgun round? What distance from the plates?
    Severing a tendon or nerve in the hand could be devastating.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Alternative to sunglasses as everyday Eyewear and I wear contact lenses, do my eyes are more sensitive to light
    I see. UV can wreck eyesight, so if you spend a lot of time outdoors, anything to reduce that is great.

I need to get a new set of prescription glasses, I see Wiley X has a ballistic prescription range. Will find out what the optometrist says.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast