Page 1 of 405 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: UKRAINE updates

User

Default UKRAINE updates

Since the crisis in Ukraine has become the subject of debate on one of the threads, I thought it would be prudent to give this perspective from a noted Catholic historian, Roberto de Mattei. In a separate thread of it's own.
    https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/20...uences-of.html

Interesting article on the origins of Ukraine as a nation, it's relevance to Russia, Russian Imperialist ambitions stretching back centuries, how Ukrainians see themselves, East versus West, NATO versus Russia, Moscow Patriarchate versus Constantinople Patriarchate, Orthodox versus Catholic.

It's important to understand the history of the region to know how we got where we are now.

User

Default Re: Ukraine: roots and consequences of the crisis

Check the oil price dude… follow the money… all the rest is smoke and mirrors.

User

BREAKING-Muliple explosions heard in north of rebel-held city of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine - Reuters witness reports

Can anyone confirm that it has started? I can't find anything
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    BREAKING-Muliple explosions heard in north of rebel-held city of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine - Reuters witness reports

Can anyone confirm that it has started? I can't find anything
    A car bomb exploded near the headquarters of the Donetsk People's Republic, a Russian backed puppet stated founded in 2014 after the last political crisis in the Ukraine, which is basically the buffer zone for the conflict.

User

OK. So it hasn't begun just yet.
    Thank you
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    Since the crisis in Ukraine has become the subject of debate on one of the threads, I thought it would be prudent to give this perspective from a noted Catholic historian, Roberto de Mattei. In a separate thread of it's own.
    https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/20...uences-of.html

Interesting article on the origins of Ukraine as a nation, it's relevance to Russia, Russian Imperialist ambitions stretching back centuries, how Ukrainians see themselves, East versus West, NATO versus Russia, Moscow Patriarchate versus Constantinople Patriarchate, Orthodox versus Catholic.

It's important to understand the history of the region to know how we got where we are now.
    I read some of the article, Interesting perspective, though the point of view is a little tilted towards a specific preferred outcome.
    The USA is in no position at this stage to supply natural gas to Europe, they are a net importer for the time being, it can change if the price is high enough to invigorate shale.
    If we can believe the court transcripts of the Wouter Basson trial, then we can conclude that even established religious institutions are not above breaking the law to further their cause. Like Bearer Bonds that the man was found with.
    I had mentioned that genie bottle of the Balkans in the early 90's, the stage was set for the current situation then, for once it is agreed that a sovereign state may be divided according to the specific ethnicity percentage that dominates, the possibility for the fragmentation of states becomes a reality which may be justified by historic precedent. This has been repeated in that neck of the woods for decades now.
    Ukraine is important to Russia, it's location is paramount, natural resources not so much, they have their own.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Check the oil price dude… follow the money… all the rest is smoke and mirrors.
    This is a powerful motivator.

Default Ukraine

I don't know anything about military matters. Perhaps that's why I'm a bit confused. How can 150 000 troops invade a country of 600 000 square km with 43 million population? It's one soldier per 4km2 and one per 30 population. Sure, the invader will be armed and the population mostly won't be. And, of course, you can't stop a tank with a rifle. Nonetheless, after they've conquered the cities, which will take a good percentage of their forces, how will they conquer the rest? What use will a few hundred tanks and artillery pieces be when they've run out of fuel and ammo and are spread thinly over that big territory, and can't be resupplied when partisans prevent it? I'm also mindful of the success of the Swiss "porcupine" policy of WW2 and Admiral Yamoto's comment that the US can't be invaded because "there'll be a rifle behind every blade of grass." But perhaps it's not that simple, and in any case Ukraine firearms ownership policy seems to be somewhere between the UK and SA. Anyhow, guys, I just want to understand a bit better.

User

Default Re: Ukraine

My assumption is that they wouldn't try or need to occupy the entire place. Once they'd smashed it up a bit they'd offer terms and the Ukrainians wouldn't have much chance of refusing. Those would include Russian troops remaining in the cointry and a hand up the backside of a government of ventriloquists puppets.

Default Re: Ukraine

Very interesting things happening there. Biden is making a bit of a horses arse of things. Putin seems to be holding the right cards. China also quietly sitting in the back pocket... European leaders pushing hard for some sort of resolution.
    Media doing what media does - Drama and suspense.

Page 1 of 405 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast