User

Question Shotgun Shell Holder

All the information i have been able to find on GS is dated.

What shotgun shell holders / rigs are you guys running in IPSC shooting?

I have a few AP Custom 4x4 shell holders, but AP custom doesn't exist anymore and the way of loading has evolved. I'm looking at getting new shell holders.

Any advice and maybe a few pics would be welcome. You quickly get to see on the range, what works and what doesn't work.

User

Default Re: Shotgun Shell Holder

Most shooters are doing quad loads (4 shells grabbed at once) or at least doubles(2 at a time) or even a combination of the above depending on the stage and your gear(magtube capacity etc.)

A rig that can accommodate quads and doubles should be ideal. Also note that your style of loading( weak and/or stronghand) also influences your setup as most rigs are setup for one of the two styles due to the way shells are tilted.

Companies like Magload, King Competition and EZ load all use rigs that can do quads and/or doubles. The cost is quite substantial. Also look at products from Invictus Practical and Taccom.

There was a gent that was producing some items locally in the Cape Town area a while ago. There was also another gent who was making a belt rig, but this could only do doubles.

User

What gun do you want to load, is the loading port opened yet? Do you want to load duces or quads? What area are you from?

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    Most shooters are doing quad loads (4 shells grabbed at once) or at least doubles(2 at a time) or even a combination of the above depending on the stage and your gear(magtube capacity etc.)

A rig that can accommodate quads and doubles should be ideal. Also note that your style of loading( weak and/or stronghand) also influences your setup as most rigs are setup for one of the two styles due to the way shells are tilted.

Companies like Magload, King Competition and EZ load all use rigs that can do quads and/or doubles. The cost is quite substantial. Also look at products from Invictus Practical and Taccom.

There was a gent that was producing some items locally in the Cape Town area a while ago. There was also another gent who was making a belt rig, but this could only do doubles.
    Thank you. I've had a look at King competition, but that's crazy money. I'll check out EZ load and magload as well. I've has a look at the Safariland 086 setup, but i don't want to invest money into something that doesn't work.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    What gun do you want to load, is the loading port opened yet? Do you want to load duces or quads? What area are you from?
    Benelli Super Nova. The port looks plastic. I haven't had it opened up because of that, i wasn't sure if it could be done on the super nova. It's not like the M2. I also don't know if doubles or quads would be better for me as far as loading goes. I haven't tried quad loads yet.

I'm based in Port Elizabeth.

User

As far as I know most shooters do not do a lot, if any, work on the loading ports of the Super Nova.

To try quadloads stack the shells on a table with a coin or something similar under the second pair to be loaded to raise them(as they would stack in a rig). If you can pick up the shells and do a quadload you know you have to start looking for a rig that accommodates quadloading. Doubles are really easy, quads take some practice. If you have very short fingers you may struggle with quadloads.

Magload items are available locally from Rocksteady Gear.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Benelli Super Nova. The port looks plastic. I haven't had it opened up because of that, i wasn't sure if it could be done on the super nova. It's not like the M2. I also don't know if doubles or quads would be better for me as far as loading goes. I haven't tried quad loads yet.

I'm based in Port Elizabeth.
    Pity you are in PE. I have a 16rd strong side 16 left hand, Resolute Platforms rig and my current in use double setup which you could have tried. You should try to play with some different rigs and see which might work for you.

User

Thank you all for the information and advice. We have a shotgun league this weekend. I'll try as many setups as i can and see what works.

From what i've seen on the internet. The supernova can be opened a little and i don't know if it is worth the effort or money, but nothing like the M2.

Are there any setups to stay away from?

User

There's a holder for sale on Gun Trove which may be worth a look.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    There's a holder for sale on Gun Trove which may be worth a look.
    Thank you