Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rooikat: Engine

User

Default Rooikat: Engine

Which company / country was it sourced from? A V10 diesel, particularly for that era is unusual - I don't think Mercedes Benz made V10s at that stage - would be Magirus Deutz by a possibility perhaps?

User

Default Re: Rooikat: Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    Which company / country was it sourced from? A V10 diesel, particularly for that era is unusual - I don't think Mercedes Benz made V10s at that stage - would be Magirus Deutz by a possibility perhaps?
    Probably, all the Samil had Deutz engines if memory serves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

It has an ADE v10 engine, probably the 443. It is watercooled whereas the Magirus engines used in the Samils are air cooled.

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldw...ca/rooikat.php

User

Quote Originally Posted by MariusT View Post
    It has an ADE v10 engine, probably the 443. It is watercooled whereas the Magirus engines used in the Samils are air cooled.

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldw...ca/rooikat.php
    Whilst I understand ADE build (built?) engines, my understanding is that they produced copies of established platforms, they didn't design them?

User

Yes, the ADE engines are/were copies of Mercedes Benz engines. MB had V- configurations up to V12.

https://mymotorlist.com/engines/mercedes/om443/

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

User

Is ADE or a descendant of it still around?

Edit: question should rather be, do we still have an engine production capability in the country like ADE?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

ADE (Atlantis Diesel Engines) where copies of the Perkins line of engines. ADE is not existing post 1994 anymore.

Most parts between Perkins and ADE are interchangeable. We still have a lot of old model Agricultural Tractors (Ford, Mazzey Ferguson, John Deere) that have ADE engines in them. A lot of old Mercedes Benz trucks also had ADE engines. The drivetrains where designed around the Perkins Engines. During sanctions certain engines were not allowed into RSA, so the Perkins engines where copied and then just replaced the Perkins engines in said vehicles.

User

Thanks. Seems like manufacturing in SA is a thing of the rapidly receding past.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MariusT View Post
    Yes, the ADE engines are/were copies of Mercedes Benz engines. MB had V- configurations up to V12.

https://mymotorlist.com/engines/mercedes/om443/

Cheers Marius, I should have been more observant ref "443". Interesting, I'm assuming that the V10 was chosen as it was the most powerful engine that could be accommodated / mated to the transmission?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    Cheers Marius, I should have been more observant ref "443". Interesting, I'm assuming that the V10 was chosen as it was the most powerful engine that could be accommodated / mated to the transmission?
    I think it was already developed as a power pack for the Olifant tank but I could be wrong. The largest of the ADE engines was a V12 and was used in the tank transporters as far as I know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast