Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rooikat: Engine

User

Default Re: Rooikat: Engine

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    I was - but not in a G6. In September of 1987, one of the 61 Mech G5 crews had an accident (barrel detonation, "loop vroeebars") and I took one of the 14 Field G6 crews to replace the guys that got hurt. So I was in Modular commanding a G5 crew (a platform I had no training on - luckily the gun part is very similar to the G6, and the rest my crew knew well). At that stage the G6 was not going to join the war.

A few weeks later they brought the other three G6s for a spin in Angola - the opportunity to test under operational conditions was too good to pass up. "My" G6 came as spares - diffs, hubs, engine and gearbox.

The next year, the Army signed the contract to purchase 72 G6s, only 66 of which were actually delivered under a later modified contract.
    Thx, interesting. I saw that G5 in our transport park, actually had pics of it, before it was eventually flown out of Rundu back to Waterkloof. I can recall going to the Bittersoet training area for something just as 4SAI were about to depart for Angola.

Later for some reason I was completely fascinated with those round propaganda leaflets you lot "delivered" to FAPLA. Weird how some memories stick and others completely lost.

I was watching an interview with a 32BN major,Hannes Nortman, yesterday that just published.

It's really a lifetime ago, and may just as well be from another planet as the world has completely changed.A buddy was based up in Rundu for a while during UNTAG time it was different already.

I hope we get the chance to have a beer one day!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    ADE built licensed copies of both MB and Perkins engines. The MB-copy engines, both OM 300- and OM 400-series were used in all trucks and the Perkins engines were mostly used in tractors. There were a few exceptions, like the ADE 236 (Perkins) used in the Toyota Landcruiser and possibly some Landrovers.
    I'm not aware of any ADE 236 engines put into Landcruisers, but they were used for the (quite rare) Land-Rover Series 3S Diesels. The Series 3S was better known by the Petrol engine variant's name (a stretched Austin Marina engine) the R6.

Toyota would not have needed the Perkins as they got the engine design Land-Rover was too dim to pick up, the old Chev 4.1... which they still use to this day.

The rest of your post is fascinating and stuff I have no knowledge of whatsoever.
    Last edited by Paul; 28-02-2022 at 10:06.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

There were ADE engines in some of the early 70 series LC bakkies and possibly others. I think they were Perkins derived. A couple of people I knew from the LandCruiser club had copies one of which had been an Eskom vehicle bought on auction. The one I drove made the Toyota 2H motor equipped copies feel like the had an engine which was quite a feat.

*Edit* if memory serves, which it probably doesn't, the motors were used to increase the local content by value of the vehicles in line with one of the MIDP type regulations.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    There were ADE engines in some of the early 70 series LC bakkies and possibly others. I think they were Perkins derived. A couple of people I knew from the LandCruiser club had copies one of which had been an Eskom vehicle bought on auction. The one I drove made the Toyota 2H motor equipped copies feel like the had an engine which was quite a feat.
    Maybe...

The ADE 236 was a stump-puller... and the vehicle moved at a glacial pace. BUT, it would pull away in 4th. I once saw one parked against a large jackalberry tree, in gear, in 1st gear, engine running, slowly digging a trench with one wheel... driver had got out and wandered off for a pee.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Checked in with a cruiser nerd mate of mine. He reckons the engine was the ADE 236 it was fitted to 75 Series bakkies in '86 and '87 and maybe other models. He sold his with over half a million km on it and the motor had never been opened. He said that it 'wasn't ideally suited to highway travel'.

User

The ADE 236 was the local version of the Perkins AD4.236 tractor engine, as was used in the Massey Ferguson 265 and other models. So yes, the Cruiser would have pulled like a tractor, slow and steady...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3