Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 40 SW becoming obsolete?

Howzit,

I just had a weird and slightly disconcerting whatsapp chat to a chap selling a G30.

Seems to be a dealer as he's "in the trade" as he advised below.

Any truth to his assertion that the 40SW calibre is "all but dead".

I've standardised on 9mmp but am super keen on a 40 cal.

"I had plenty .40s&w rounds for my old Glock22, but I gave them away when I sold the gun.

Selling aside, a word of warning (because we are in the trade).

Approach with caution the licensing and trouble of a .40.....the cartridge is all but dead (that's why I got rid of mine). The Yanks are leaving it in droves, and ammo will get harder and harder to get.

Our latest firearms coming from Taurus and other manufacturers are not even available in .40, they're not making their new guns in that caibre..which is VERY telling."

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: 40 SW becoming obsolete?

My take is that its been on the decline for ages. It had a big burst of popularity when the FBI and various other US agencies adopted it. Since its lost favour with those agencies to the 9mm it's popularity amongst civilians has also diminished. I wouldn't expect it to go away completely ito ammo supply but would expect that it becomes more expensive as volumes decrease. There are lots of .40s in the wild so I'm sure it will remain attractive for companies to keep making it. Having said all of that I wouldn't buy a .40 myself as I can't see any benefit that it would offer me over my 9mm pistols.

It was dying a decade back.only getting worse now.

Crappy caliber. Always been for a guy who does not want a 45 because too much recoil. And dont want a 9mm because less stopping power. So then went and got a 40 and believed best of both worlds.

User

I've got a very good mate on this forum who swears by his 40SW and loves calling dibs on 40 brass :)

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

User

Huge drop in sales , yes. Dead, absolutely not. If we look at major manufacturers, they still offering 40 even in the newer models. Sales definitely slowed down, but there still seems to be guys purchasing 40. Following a few US forums, there were many 9mm guys who purchased 40 in the last election ammo shortage. I don't see 9mm sales declining but I don't see 40 dissapearing anytime soon either. Also , the IPSC guys can probably shed more light on the 40 and sports shooting.

User

As an SD round, there's probably close to no reason to choose 40 over 9mm.

As a game gun, 40 has a shedload going for it in IPSC standard.

User

Yes it is obsolete, everybody give me yours! Shot years IPSC Standard major with a Glock 22 and I didn't suck, but then again nobody ever told me it's a useless caliber.

The mantra now is that bullet technology is so advanced that nobody needs a .40 or .45 since the 9 mm does the same these used to. True, but now the .40 and .45 do even more than before: a bigger gaping hole sucking the life out of a body, more transferred energy which Is the actual showstopper and please don't start with shot placement, there's no such thing in a real fight. Ask Treeman and Camo if you don't want to take my word on it... In real life you need all the help you can get from a bullet, the one that hits the mark may be the only one you can send.

No, it isn't obsolete if you can handle it. Not everyone can, it's a fact and there's nothing wrong with selecting a pistol with which you actually hit where you are trying to. Was it a 9 mm or .380 or anything of sorts.

We'll be obsolete long before the cartridge.

If you find a good deal, buy it. Used brass is plentiful, all components are available everywhere.

SD ammo I don't know, but you can make your own with new brass and XTP's or whatever else you fancy.

I'm sure this was the story with revolvers as well.

User

Some guy had a signature on here, maybe Rick Pascoe?

While it is true a 9mm may fail to expand, a .45 has never shrunk!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast