Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: 40 SW becoming obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Yes it is obsolete, everybody give me yours! Shot years IPSC Standard major with a Glock 22 and I didn't suck, but then again nobody ever told me it's a useless caliber.

The mantra now is that bullet technology is so advanced that nobody needs a .40 or .45 since the 9 mm does the same these used to. True, but now the .40 and .45 do even more than before: a bigger gaping hole sucking the life out of a body, more transferred energy which Is the actual showstopper and please don't start with shot placement, there's no such thing in a real fight. Ask Treeman and Camo if you don't want to take my word on it... In real life you need all the help you can get from a bullet, the one that hits the mark may be the only one you can send.

No, it isn't obsolete if you can handle it. Not everyone can, it's a fact and there's nothing wrong with selecting a pistol with which you actually hit where you are trying to. Was it a 9 mm or .380 or anything of sorts.
    Of all the guns I have , I have had the most serious issues with this calibre in 2 brands and if it was a life and death situation, I would have been communicating this via a seance session.

Of the guns I have in 40 the better ones are
    HK
    SWSAW

of the Glocks the 27 (one of the early versions) is the best.

Surprisingly my ASTRA 100 in 40 is an absolute champ at sending 40 down accurately and easily.

The 40 has no place for me and my needs so now i use the tonnes of brass for other purposes ( use the brass as targets for pellet gun with the kids , to prank people at the range when i shoot my revolvers i catch the revolver brass but throw 6 40 brass on the floor confusing the shit out of the range experts and range bunnies and this is how the 40 gives me imense amount of pleasure time and again).
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
    So he inquired about selling his G30 and was told 40S&W is dead? Did they wander off topic and that just came up?
    I whatsapped the guy a while ago about a G30 he advertised for sale. Did not get a response for weeks so I ventured into getting a G22/23 or SW 2.0 which a few of my mates have.

Gent responded today to my earlier whatsapp saying the G30 is still available. Advised him that I'm currently negotiating on a G23.

That's when I got the advices on the 40 cal.

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by batman69 View Post
    I whatsapped the guy a while ago about a G30 he advertised for sale. Did not get a response for weeks so I ventured into getting a G22/23 or SW 2.0 which a few of my mates have.

Gent responded today to my earlier whatsapp saying the G30 is still available. Advised him that I'm currently negotiating on a G23.

That's when I got the advices on the 40 cal.

Oh, ok... Was just curious because the G30 is 45ACP.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    Of all the guns I have , I have had the most serious issues with this calibre in 2 brands and if it was a life and death situation, I would have been communicating this via a seance session.

Of the guns I have in 40 the better ones are
    HK
    SWSAW

of the Glocks the 27 (one of the early versions) is the best.

Surprisingly my ASTRA 100 in 40 is an absolute champ at sending 40 down accurately and easily.

The 40 has no place for me and my needs so now i use the tonnes of brass for other purposes ( use the brass as targets for pellet gun with the kids , to prank people at the range when i shoot my revolvers i catch the revolver brass but throw 6 40 brass on the floor confusing the shit out of the range experts and range bunnies and this is how the 40 gives me imense amount of pleasure time and again).
    With the price of 40 brass @ R2 ea, you might be sitting on a small fortune lol.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    it was

FrankH - RIP Brother!
    He once allowed me to shoot his brand new S&W M&P in 40S&W.

I'm not a big fan of the 40S&W cartridge, as I prefer the 10mm Auto. One of my gripes with the younger member of the family, is the weak case head. This leads to cracked and separated case heads occasionally, which is somewhat of a safety risk for reloaders. The fact that a fellow club member sent his extractor and some brass fragments whizzing past my ear probably reinforced my dislike.

What I would like is a 6" Chiappa Rhino revolver in 40S&W, but I would likely have it reamed out to 10mm Auto anyway.

That being said, I suspect the 40S&W is still vastly more prolific than the old 45ACP, and that is not rated as obsolete by anyone. Who knows, it might just win it's 3rd world war soon...

User

If there ever was a reason for me to get a 40 - this is it :

Considering the diameter of the lego minifigure head - it's like it was meant to be.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

User

With the price of Lego, real ammo would probably be cheaper...

Ag tog, liewe fok.
    "Trespassers will be welcomed, and served a light lunch"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    As an SD round, there's probably close to no reason to choose 40 over 9mm.

As a game gun, 40 has a shedload going for it in IPSC standard.
    Respectfully I'm going to disagree.
    I have seen first hand the effects of various 9mm bullets including hollow points of various designs on humans. The same goes for .40 S&W. (A smaller number than 9mm granted. but still relevant)

Anyone who preaches that a heavier bigger bullet at the same (or greater) velocity than a smaller lighter bullet will not have a greater effect on (in) target is talking out of their arse or live in a universe where there are different laws of physics.

Excluding IPSC / Sport - Looking at things purely from a SD point of view. A .40 allows carrying a gun in a 9mm holster, with the same level of comfort and concealability as a 9mm but when it comes to puching holes in threats it will be punching holes that are much deeper, much wider and it will expand more than a smaller lighter bullet.

I' dont care how many youtube experts make videos on the advantages of 9mm vs 40 and quote FBI specs etc. They will never get a 180gr bullet to do 950 - 1000 fps, or a 165 gr bullet to do 1200 fps out of a 9mm. And a smaller lighter bullet at the same velocity of a bigger heavier one will simply not cause as much wound as the bigger bullet. More damage on the receiving in in a gunfight is always an advantage to the sender...

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Respectfully I'm going to disagree.
    I have seen first hand the effects of various 9mm bullets including hollow points of various designs on humans. The same goes for .40 S&W. (A smaller number than 9mm granted. but still relevant)

Anyone who preaches that a heavier bigger bullet at the same (or greater) velocity than a smaller lighter bullet will not have a greater effect on (in) target is talking out of their arse or live in a universe where there are different laws of physics.

Excluding IPSC / Sport - Looking at things purely from a SD point of view. A .40 allows carrying a gun in a 9mm holster, with the same level of comfort and concealability as a 9mm but when it comes to puching holes in threats it will be punching holes that are much deeper, much wider and it will expand more than a smaller lighter bullet.

I' dont care how many youtube experts make videos on the advantages of 9mm vs 40 and quote FBI specs etc. They will never get a 180gr bullet to do 950 - 1000 fps, or a 165 gr bullet to do 1200 fps out of a 9mm. And a smaller lighter bullet at the same velocity of a bigger heavier one will simply not cause as much wound as the bigger bullet. More damage on the receiving in in a gunfight is always an advantage to the sender...
    You are wrong, but okay. Seems your mind has been made up and there is not much that will change it.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast