Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    There are many people who have survived headshots. I knew one personally and he died of old age despite having lost a pretty impressive amount of his head.
    Not the norm. He may have lived but he was not the same person.

User

Default Re: 40 SW becoming obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    That sounds like one long excuse to not train to a high level of proficiency.

You also don't carry a gun often by your own admission so that kinda diminishes the value of your input when discussing the topic of pistols and calibers for self defense.
    Do you even have 1/2 a clue who you are talking to here?

User

As far as the FBI going to 9mm……..I could be wrong but I think I once read that the growing number of female recruits complained about the .40 S&W recoil.

.40 S&W is a super caliber……I love my M& P Shield. But so is 9mm great and .45 is for sure good. Shoot what you shoot and if you end up having to use it, don’t stop shooting it until the threat is no longer. How you go about that is your business.

The caliber debate is always good for a giggle. Shot placement too. Lead bullet, JHP, FMJ, SJHP……..same thing. Bottom line try not get hit anywhere by anything.

Many people die every year from single .22 gunshots on the streets in the USA. Then again I’ve heard of self defense shootings where a knife wielding attacker has run at a person with a 9mm from like 20-25 feet away and taken a whole bunch of center mass hits and still managed to stab the person in the neck. The gunman lived (cop) the attacker died on scene, but it was hectic.

As far as advice here……I might tend to take heed of what my Finn buddy and fellow gitslinger A-K has to say.

User

Default 40 SW becoming obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
    As far as the FBI going to 9mm……..I could be wrong but I think I once read that the growing number of female recruits complained about the .40 S&W recoil.

.40 S&W is a super caliber……I love my M& P Shield. But so is 9mm great and .45 is for sure good. Shoot what you shoot and if you end up having to use it, don’t stop shooting it until the threat is no longer. How you go about that is your business.

The caliber debate is always good for a giggle. Shot placement too. Lead bullet, JHP, FMJ, SJHP……..same thing. Bottom line try not get hit anywhere by anything.

Many people die every year from single .22 gunshots on the streets in the USA. Then again I’ve heard of self defense shootings where a knife wielding attacker has run at a person with a 9mm from like 20-25 feet away and taken a whole bunch of center mass hits and still managed to stab the person in the neck. The gunman lived (cop) the attacker died on scene, but it was hectic.

As far as advice here……I might tend to take heed of what my Finn buddy and fellow gitslinger A-K has to say.
    As I understand it 40S&W was adopted due to female recruits struggling to qualify with 10mm and a court case forced them to move to a more female friendly 10mm (.40) round.

The move to 9mm was due to there being very little in terms of performance between 9mm and 40S&W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

No right or wrong in calibre preference. I'll take the .40 though in an auto for my own reasons... doubt it will become obsolete.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    As I understand it 40S&W was adopted due to female recruits struggling to qualify with 10mm and a court case forced them to move to a more female friendly 10mm (.40) round.

The move to 9mm was due to there being very little in terms of performance between 9mm and 40S&W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh okay, maybe that’s what it was. Thanks.

User

9mm gamers already having trouble dropping steel on the first try Will stick to my 40's thank you very much

User

Quote Originally Posted by PAYBACK View Post
    9mm gamers already having trouble dropping steel on the first try Will stick to my 40's thank you very much
    Haha, a hit in the bol does the job with a gamer gun making factor. 🤣 LoL

User

Don't feed the trolls...

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    He has yet to show that he is not just another Traumatic Brain Injury vegetable that is barely breathing in frail care. Won’t call that survive- thats breathing at best.

Calibre does not kill- the transfer of energy and subsequent tissue damage leads to loss of conciousness, hypo ventilation and then cardiac arrest. The more energy you start with the higher the gradient for energy transfer is. Go look up the energy of a 380acp versus a 9mmP +P+, it is 210ft.lb versus 465ft.lb. If you can not grasp the difference you did not passed matric physics.

If you wait for bloodloss to kill- that takes a lot longer then what you need in a fight.

Ps- I work in anaesthesia and did a stint in forensic pathology, this is thus my informed opinion, not just third or fourth handed info being passed on.
    I missed this one. My comments below are written in the average context of what people will carry that is a barrel length of 4". How did i get this conclusion? When someone starts a thread looking to purchase a firearm for self defense the consensus is a G19 or equivalent.

PS... My statement was written in the context from an actual gunfight and not some application of theoretical principles. What I used well above the 9mmP +p+ and the energy levels transferred was well over 500ft.lb even if I had used my 10mm with the exact same shot placement the result will be the same and these were center mass shots and liver shots (from a 4" barrel). The BG ended from blood loss. Hence I don't feel under gunned with a girly 9mm or 380 ACP because the results will be the same if you do your part.

Hydrostatic shock or transfer of energy to completely rupture vitals is not possible in reasonable pistol sizes/barrel lengths. Hence, the majority of informed firearm enthusiast advocate a minimum required speed of 2000FPS now which pistol with bullet combination can offer this while meeting controllability and concealability? I doubt a 9mm PCC can meet the 2000fps mark. The only platform that can offer this is a rifle with a rifle caliber.

For additional context, my a friend of mine was shot and killed in Centurion the robber used a PMP 380 ACP the shot penetrated the drivers door of his Ranger bakkie and it still penetrated his heart. So you cannot skip shot placement irrespective of energy levels. If the bullet penetrates and hits vitals depending which side of the coin you are on... you're in trouble.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast