Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bringin in Leupold 3.5-10 vx3 scope from USA.

I realise there have been similar threads but I'm sitting in the USA and are doing this on a not so smart phone. I have been given a Leupold vx3 scope. It is a plain hunting scope, no illuminated reticles or tactical turrets. Can I legally take it from the USA to SA?

Default Re: Bringin in Leupold 3.5-10 vx3 scope from USA.

Yes. As your personal property.

Ask the airport you will be flying out of if you can put it in your carry-on, or if it must go in your check-in luggage.

It's not a gun part, so legally it can be in your luggage.

User

If it's under $500 you should be fine. https://www.easyexport.net/firearm-e...ationally/#lvs

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    If it's under $500 you should be fine. https://www.easyexport.net/firearm-e...ationally/#lvs
    At Cabelas it sells for $499.
    Thanks for the responses.

Make sure it is not an ITAR item. For me to get a scope from US to Canada requires that scope to be formally exported/imported or run through a an authorized cross border dealer, otherwise it cannot be sent from the US. Its the US that has the strict regualtions.

User

Pretty sure all scopes are ITAR items. Best to check first - it is legally possible, the big question is whether it's a massive hassle to get the appropriate permissions and paperwork. That LVS story is likely limited to US companies exporting.... but I do not know for sure.

I have gone this route in the past and made enquiries and my take-away was that foreigners leaving with controlled items are viewed very differently to American citizens or businesses doing the same. Maybe the situation has changed now.

Usual caveats to traveling with firearm/shooting-related goods apply if you are not 100% certain you have the appropriate paperwork and 'permission' - do you feel lucky on your travel day, does the customs officer know the exact rules, how tight is your onward travel schedule if you get jerked around with said official, is the juice worth the squeeze as far as the item is concerned and so on...

With heightened tensions around Russia, my feeling would be not to risk unless you are certain you have your ducks in a row.

Might be simpler to send it to one of your visiting American hunters and ask them to chuck it in their rifle case when they come. I am certain that that would be successful on the grounds of being the hunter's back-up scope.

I am home with the scope. Somewhere along the line (I travelled from NC to New York, through London to OR Tambo) someone opened my suitcase and then repacked and resealed it. Nothing missing, so I assume a customs check. This has happened twice before but in each case there was a TSA pamphlet in the case afterwards. This time there was nothing.

I checked with a major US gun shop and a US law enforcement officer before travelling. Both told me that as long as it was not night sight equipment and was less than $500 there would be no problem. And yes, I know, cops and gun shops are probably not the best source for legal advice.

In retrospect, this was probably not a great idea.

User

All's well that ends well! Glad you made it back with zero drama.

The issue only would have been departing the US - London/UK can't care less about scopes and accessories in your checked luggage.

User

I have been looking at getting a scope from a USA dealer. Scopes are not sold locally so cant support local. They do ship world wide and apply for the ITAR permit i just need a import permit or end user certificate. have anybody been through a exercise like this? I would like to know the steps and potential costs involved. As far as i know you do not pay for a ITAC permit.

Not sure when flying. But for example Aramex Global Shopper has this rule that they say no Hard Mount Firearm Items allowed to be exported without permits.

They for example see a Scope or Bipod from USA as a hard mount firearm item and wont touch it.

So just make 100% sure on permits before stepping on the plane.

Funny thing is you can order a fake Bipod or scope from Ali Express via Aramex Global with no issue. As they then say its Airsoft related toy. But when from USA they see it differently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast