User

Default Are there any jackal/pig hunters using an LM or Galil?

As the title implies, are there any professional or semi-professional pest controllers who use an LM or Galil, or are planning to use one? Preferably someone who also hunts at night.

User

Default Re: Are there any jackal/pig hunters using an LM or Galil?

Speaking as a full time predator hunter, this is my opinion:
    Most if not all jackal hunters use bolt action rifles. I use Rem700 .243win rifles but would love a crazy accurate AR-10 in .243win!
    The problem is that you need a rifle that shoots sub 1MOA consistently and preferably around 0.5MOA, and I have not seen many LM's capable of doing that. Most shots are between 80m and 220m with the odd 300, and even 400m+ shot at night.

A few serious bushpig hunters are using semi autos too, but again more in AR15 and AR10. Some use lever actions too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal.204 View Post
    Speaking as a full time predator hunter, this is my opinion:
    Most if not all jackal hunters use bolt action rifles. I use Rem700 .243win rifles but would love a crazy accurate AR-10 in .243win!
    The problem is that you need a rifle that shoots sub 1MOA consistently and preferably around 0.5MOA, and I have not seen many LM's capable of doing that. Most shots are between 80m and 220m with the odd 300, and even 400m+ shot at night.

A few serious bushpig hunters are using semi autos too, but again more in AR15 and AR10. Some use lever actions too.
    Two avid pig hunters i know use a R1 and a Sig in 223 with Pulsar optics

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

For Bushpig in mealies at night (close affairs...) I refrain from using such a light caliber like a .223. Deflection probabilities are too high as fast shooting under poor visibility is needed. Big and slow is the way to go for bushpig. I use my .44 Magnum Lever Action for those

User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Two avid pig hunters i know use a R1 and a Sig in 223 with Pulsar optics
    That FN-Fal would work great!
    G-Force has a Sig AMT that would also be awesome.

User

Jackal and Bushpig hunting at night place a pretty narrow set of limitations on the criteria for an ideal rifle,scope and caliber requirement.
    Then again,the typical use of calls to lure jackal in at night vs spotlighting one incidently or bushpig hunting with dogs vs baiting at night vs walking up pigs in a mielie/sugarcane/pineapple land place different requirments on rifles.
    That being said,i have shot pigs [warthog in the daytime and bushpigs at night] with everything from a 44 Mag handgun to a shotgun to a type 56 AK to a 223 mini 14 to a large variety of scoped bolt action rifles.

While i would not choose a 223 , it will work but the optics you choose will make or break your set up.
    Also,listen to Mr Jackal....there be a wealth of knowledge.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    While i would not choose a 223 , it will work but the optics you choose will make or break your set up.
    Wise words here.
    Many jackal and pigs get killed with .223's and it really is a great round...
    But for serious night hunting it is just too slow. Gooi it with a 40gr VMax/ Ballistic Tip to get the speed up, then you lack energy to drop them on the spot EVERY TIME out to 300m+

User

The 223 is very effective on jackal and used a lot. Not so much on pigs. They really need bigger bullets. Yes, the occasional pig has been killed with a 223, but if you do it often you will know that there are better options.

Those who hunt jackal with a semi-auto 223 would usually opt for a heavy-barreled AR-type platform, as they are quite a bit more precise than a LM.

Pigs do not require as much precision, as they are usually shot at shorter ranges and often while moving. Any medium bore semi would do, but the FN-FAL has been a firm favourite in SA, simply because a lot of guys have them.

Then there is the matter of recovering your cases. People who shoot a lot of jackal or pigs, tend to use lots of ammo. Doing this with factory ammo gets expensive, so reloading is often needed. A semi-auto throws it's cases away, and you seldom have the option of recovering them in the bush. Yes, case catchers are available, but they seem pretty cumbersome. This may be an option when shooting from an aircraft and cases need to be prevented from damaging anything.

This is why most SA jackal and pig hunters choose bolt-action rifles, and for pigs, a lucky few have big-bore lever-actions.