Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Red dot on your EDC

Running a Holosun 508T on a Glock 19.5 MOS, waiting for my licence for my Glock 48 MOS then I'll mount a Holosun on it as well! Holosun has the shake awake feature which works superbly! And yes replace the battery every year, albeit I've subsequently adjusted this as I tend run my 508T on setting 9/10 and the previous battery lasted just over 11 months. I checked it the day before and the folloing day it dimmed and subsequently started flashing!

If I were to re-choose which RDS I run on my EDC and money isn't an issue, I'd go with the 509T/ Aimpoint Acro v2 as it is the same reason you don't use an open emitter RDS on your rifle/shotgun so why should you use one on your EDC aside from cost. I also run plain black suppressor height BUIS.

If you want to know anything about pistol mounted RDS's go look up Sage Dynamics on YouTube!

My 2c - I have the Vortex Venom on a G19 MOS, (my introduction/learner dot at price that no-one could have turned down), and Holosun 507K on my P10S, which has had the slide milled to fit, and has become my EDC. Batteries are changed on my birthday.
    The Venom has the advantage of auto brightness but switches off automatically after 14 hours and has to be manually switched on. Vortex offers a lifetime warranty which has yet to be tested.
    The Holosun is motion activated and switches off after 10 minutes of being completely stationary (switch on is instant in practical terms), but no automatic brightness adjustment. On both units you can replace the battery without removing the optic or having to re-zero.
    Haven't experienced major issues with either, but the Holosun is better for EDC. Holosun have a good reputation (a user induced issue�� was resolved within a week), and decent options available with fair pricing and some of the newer compact models with built-in solar charged battery would likely be a good option when they eventually get to SA.
    Next optic would probably be another Holosun.

User

Thanks for all the feedback.

I put a Venom om my M&P 45 that I plan on using for sport shooting every now and then, and so far I am enjoying the red dot, especially because of my eye sight not being top notch anymore.

The only concern I have is the auto off if I do decide to put one on my EDC as well.

I dont really know Holosun, so will need to do some research on that as the name alone almost made me think it is some Airsoft red dot.

The Holosun models have earned a very good reputation. Not everyone can cough up for a Trijicon or Aimpoint.
    Also search for Sage Dynamics on YouTube - Aaron Cowan is extremely knowledgable and tests many optics and gives a good indication of features, reliability etc.

User

I’ve started with putting the 8MOA Holosun on my sport gun to get confident. Will then go with the same on my SD setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

407K on my wifes 43XMOS, shake and wake feature is as if the dot is always on. Change the battery to a reputable brand when you buy it and then swop out every 6-12 monhts.

407CO going onto my G19 next week. Same same but 8MOA donut. You can buy 3x Holosun for the price of one SRO and that is if you can find the 5MOA SRO.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tman21 View Post
    407K on my wifes 43XMOS, shake and wake feature is as if the dot is always on. Change the battery to a reputable brand when you buy it and then swop out every 6-12 monhts.

407CO going onto my G19 next week. Same same but 8MOA donut. You can buy 3x Holosun for the price of one SRO and that is if you can find the 5MOA SRO.
    The 407CO is the bomb. For old eyes especially.

User

I have had a Trijicon RMR on my G19 for 5,5 years now. I've always pushed the importance of co witness back up iron sights. Not primarily for dot failure, but for finding alignment if the dot is outside the window.

The new Holosuns with the Primary Arms ACSS Vulcan (previously known as Cyclops) Reticle is a game changer in that regard. It has a large circle that is outside the window (ie you can't see it) if the dot (chevron in this case) is in the window. But if the dot is outside the window, you see part of the circumference of the big circle and you immediately know which way to move to correct the alignment issue. The bummer is for some reason Primary Arms aren't selling it to anyone outside of the US right now. I will be switching as soon as they are available locally.

Battery issue really is a non issue. Good red dots have a battery life measured in years. Pick a date and change it annually. No problem

User

Quote Originally Posted by M80BHP View Post
    I carry a g19x with vortex venom...test the dot regularly now as I found it flat, and after replacing the battery found it on from pressing up against something...it's very difficult for me to shoot without the dot as the scope is on a plate that fits on the rear sight...natural point of aim is always very high ..it's a one button on system and I think if the perp is close I wouldn't have time to switch it on, but if it's a longer shot I would switch it on...my SRO has a much longer battery life and if I was to carry my competition gun I would leave it on permanently ...
    Leave the dot on permanently. Replace battery every couple of months

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The 407CO is the bomb. For old eyes especially.

My eye's aren't that old but they are terrible. With the CO its astonishing to see what the sight picture looks like with and without my contacts or glasses. Really next level. The shooting has actually given me enough courage to go for lazer opp to fix my eyes (as soon as I stop spending all my money on guns)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast