Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eagle Suppressor (Jonker & Sons) vs Sus-tac Whisper

Anyone here have any experience with Jonker & Sons' Eagle suppressor ?

How quiet is it? Would you recommend it compared to the Sus-tac Whisper (or even the Sus-tac Hunter)?

Here's the thing, I need to take my rifle (Howa 1500 .308) to Jonker & Sons for them to work out just what thread I have on my barrel, and they make the Eagle Suppressor so instead of ordering the Sus-tac all the way from up north I could kill two birds by going to a shop that is in Cape Town.

BUT if the quality is quite a bit below the Sus-tac Whisper I will rather go with that despite the hassle....

User

Default Re: Eagle Suppressor (Jonker & Sons) vs Sus-tac Whisper

Keeping eye on this thread

Found this site. Has a couple videos and info that is not on their other website.

http://eaglesuppressors.co.za/

Has anyone used and can recommend a decent gunsmith in the Cape Town area that can check the thread of/thread a barrel and fit a suppressor.
    Jonker & Sons said it might take 3 weeks. No idea if that is long or not these days.

Also, around what is the cost of threading the barrel of a Howa 308, I was quoted R1500. Is that about right?

Anyone got any comments on the Eagle Suppressor, anything?

I dont think that this has bearing on your actual application, but I have recently had one of each brand fitted by Jonker&Sons - but the Sus-tac one to a .223Rem semi auto (also made to fit on a .22LR semi auto), and the eagle to a little .22LR bolt gun.

The semi auto .223 is what wagged the dog here a little. The Sus-tac was the only one that I could find that was rated for semi-auto and at a reasonable price.

To start with, I HIGHLY rate Jonker&Sons, and would be prepared to wait for them to do the work properly rather than have someone else mess up quickly.

The semi-auto Sus-Tac is made out of stainless and is rather heavy.....it is very very effective in suppressing noise though. It is overkill for the .22LR semi (and works well, as expected), but this is not its usual intended use.

The Eagle fitted to the little BRNO bolt gun is small and super light. It is also very effective in silencing the .22LR. I previously had a slip on type suppressor on this gun, which was long and only marginally effective.

Both suppressors are great quality, both are local and both reasonably priced. However, it is pretty hard to extrapolate from my .22LR experience to what you will get with your 308. Personally, I would have not issues putting an Eagle suppressor on one of my other rifles.

BTW, J&S also fitted a Dystech suppressor (from PE, but I understand that they no longer make suppressors) to my .375H&H, about 5yrs ago. Also very fine workmanship, and for what it is worth - as the suppressor is more for recoil calming purposes here - it works nicely.

J&S have also made custom sights for me, and done trigger work on rifles, pistols and revolvers. I am sounding like a stuck record here, but I really rate their work.

As an aside, you can also try Bullet Central.....their rifle work is great (although, I did have issues with some work on a revolver...before Petrus Jonker fixed what they f-ed up).

Thanks Sweet, that is a glowing recommendation indeed. I think I will just wait the 3 weeks then and have them do the work.

I don't have experience of either, but I learnt a few things along the way.

If the suppressor is the right size for the caliber, it doesn't matter if it's aluminum or stainless.

The suppressor design is more important than what it's made of.

Material type starts getting important when you go RUM and larger case capacity, the only reason being at that powder volume, the stainless can can be made smaller than the aluminum one, but will still be much heavier.
    War is convincing young people to kill complete strangers who are not a threat to them personally.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post

If the suppressor is the right size for the caliber, it doesn't matter if it's aluminum or stainless.

The suppressor design is more important than what it's made of.
    The one departure from this is that material choice does play a role when considering semi-auto or not.....your options are stainless or titanium, no one will recommend an alloy suppressor for a semi-auto.

Jonker ad Son, Morkell and Crouse as well as the previous Bullet Central in Phisantekraal. They have different name now but still same gunsmith is the best of the Smiths you will get in CPT area. 3 weeks wait is nothing for quality work on a firearm. So rather wait then have it messed up. They probably going to finish well before that. Under Promising but over delivering.

As a note. The ideal silencer. Will have each baffle part a different size/dimension. As the air goes through the first one the first cavity should break the sound wave. When it enters the next one the soundwave will be different from first one. So the cavity should be in the size to match the sound wave. And the next one different again. This will be the ideal. But this will cost the manufacturer a fortune to make. So we get the current designs.

If they are using two types in one as on your pic. Thats pretty impressive.

Sadly im an Ase Utra fan. So I stick with Ase. Although its pricey. But I love their compact size and effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Jonker ad Son, Morkell and Crouse as well as the previous Bullet Central in Phisantekraal. They have different name now but still same gunsmith is the best of the Smiths you will get in CPT area. 3 weeks wait is nothing for quality work on a firearm. So rather wait then have it messed up. They probably going to finish well before that. Under Promising but over delivering.

As a note. The ideal silencer. Will have each baffle part a different size/dimension. As the air goes through the first one the first cavity should break the sound wave. When it enters the next one the soundwave will be different from first one. So the cavity should be in the size to match the sound wave. And the next one different again. This will be the ideal. But this will cost the manufacturer a fortune to make. So we get the current designs.

If they are using two types in one as on your pic. Thats pretty impressive.

Sadly im an Ase Utra fan. So I stick with Ase. Although its pricey. But I love their compact size and effectiveness.
    Can't afford an Ase.... but for the amount of shooting I'll be doing I'm sure the Eagle will serve just fine. Anything will be an improvement over the monstrosity that I currently have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast