Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Pointing a firearm

What would constitute a good reason to point a firearm other than your life being at risk?
    For example if someone grabs your phone and runs off would pointing a firearm at them while trying to apprehend them be a good reason?

User

Default Re: Pointing a firearm

Quote Originally Posted by DDB View Post
    What would constitute a good reason to point a firearm other than your life being at risk?
    For example if someone grabs your phone and runs off would pointing a firearm at them while trying to apprehend them be a good reason?
    If you want to see the inside of a holding cell.

User

Unless an attack is about to happen or is starting to happen, where you or a third party is in mortal or severe physical danger, then no.

If the guy grabs your phone and can run away faster than you, unless you can stop him, you can't draw a gun on him. That's the short of it.

Or course, if he threatened you with a gun and robbed you, then the attack is still happening. But in the same breath, at some point, the attack is over. If he points at you, grabs your phone, and gets In a car and flees, you can't then chase him in your car to shoot him. That's not going to be self defense.

These questions usually leave too many questions open and every situation is unique.
    Don't point a gun unless you willing to shoot. The guy might call your bluff.

User

You can use a firearm in self defence against an attacker where these three conditions are all met:
    The attack is unlawful
    The attack is likely to result in severe injury or death
    The attack is imminent or has commenced.

There is no need for warning, pointing or any intermediate steps before engaging the target once the three conditions have been met.

As speed and surprise are vital elements in winning any engagement most trainers would recommend pointing only while you acquire the target once committed to shooting, between shots while you hold aim on the target and after engagement until you are satisfied that the target is neutralised.

Pointing should not be a part of your pre engagement strategy....ever.

No.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

For what it’s worth, I apprehended a thief some years back the dude hopped my parents wall and stole my dads lawnmower. Anyway I got him to lie down on the road (about 2 blocks away from the house) with his hands behind his head, by pointing my gun at his face and shouting at him to get on the fucking ground and put his hands behind his head. The police were happy to take him away when they arrived., I was free to go home with my gun and the lawnmower
    Last edited by CorditeCrazy; 13-03-2022 at 10:31.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    For what it’s worth, I apprehended a thief some years back the dude hopped my parents wall and stole my dads lawnmower. Anyway I got him to lie down on the road (about 2 blocks away from the house) with his hands behind his head, by pointing my gun at his face and shouting at him to get on the fucking ground and put his hands behind his head. The police were happy to take him away when they arrived., I was free to go home with my gun and the lawnmower
    Rolux Magnum?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Rolux Magnum?
    Fox
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

In your scenario, you are walking or at a traffic light etc... and the BG just grabs your phone (property), without threatening you and just runs away, then no, that could land you into trouble.

Just to add, you CANNOT defend against property, whether it is a phone, vehicle, watch, handbag, wallet, backpack, TV etc...

But like @zguy said, if it's an armed robbery whereby you are approach and a gun/knife or ‘weapon” is visible or used in a threatening/intimidating manner to “hold you up”, the same would apply to a hijacking scenario, then YES you are within your right to defend yourself (deadly force).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Same or similar situation, many times, really a lot of times.
    I picked up issues twice in really a lot of times.
    Once when I dropped the guy using the butt of the 45ACP between the eyes, I was getting close to shooting, but saw a gap during the grappling and nailed him real hard between the eyes on the forehead.He was handed to police in regard to breaking into vehicles and stealing my trucks battery. He laid various charges and I ended up in court twice. The charges against me were assault and use of firearm was barely mentioned.
    He was given bail for the reason I apprehended him and stabbed a policeman shortly there after. I heard he died a few weeks later, do not know if it was connected to the crime life style he lived. My case never came up again.

The second incident was a shop robbery and stabbing that I got involved in. I ran the guy down and got him a few times, but he was the wildest man I ever confronted. I got him a few times, he was weaker than I and also slower, but he had no off button, I hit my hand into big swollen lumps and when he drew his knife I broke a few pot plants on his head - no off switch in his make up.
    He broke a bottle at one stage, had a Okapi in one hand and a bottle neck in the other, I drew my firearm at this point. The double left - right attack was beyond my abilities and he got me(my clothes) with the bottle.
    I wear loose hanging clothes and he caught my top with the bottle and ripped upwards pulling the top over my face - I shot him when the firearm contacting his body. The weapon was bumped down and the barrel was along his body with the bullet traveling in at his hip and entering, exiting his leg a few times. He fell back and landed knees towards me and I shot him again in at knee and out at buttocks.
    I can not explain, justify or argue the second shot, it was just a follow through generated by being in a basic animal frame of mind due to preceding circumstances.
    A case was opened, and my firearm taken in. I got my weapon back after a month and the docket had "decline to prosecute" written on it. It was nearly 2 decades ago, but I think the matter was reopened 3 times and came back "decline to prosecute". I was told that someone was gunning to get me for the second shot. That second shot was a mistake that nearly cost me.

I was later told that I had shot a ex old school cops "pet" and he, the cop had it in for me. I was blocked when I tried to trace him. Those old cops had dirty power.

There you have two examples of what can happen, though I think I was also very lucky in my encounters.

Mentioned as for example of what can happen.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast