Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Best self defence blade

There are many.

The best would be one you could access fast with either hand when needed.

The sheath and the way it attaches is going to play a major role in the system, imo even equal to the knife itself.

I would choose an ambidextrous blade iro handle and blade grind (double edged) that can be utilised RH, LH, p'kal grip and "normal" grip. It will have to be appendix carry compatible. Imo if you do not have these options built into the knife you may find your self on an occasion not being able to access or properly apply the blade.

One of the very best that I have found is the Dynamis Alliance Razorback because both the blade and the sheath are totally ambi. Another excellent choice would be the Bastinelli Telum for the same reasons.

Any local offering that can mimic the nature of these knife and sheath combos will be premium imo.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    There are many.

The best would be one you could access fast with either hand when needed.

The sheath and the way it attaches is going to play a major role in the system, imo even equal to the knife itself.

I would choose an ambidextrous blade iro handle and blade grind (double edged) that can be utilised RH, LH, p'kal grip and "normal" grip. It will have to be appendix carry compatible. Imo if you do not have these options built into the knife you may find your self on an occasion not being able to access or properly apply the blade.

One of the very best that I have found is the Dynamis Alliance Razorback because both the blade and the sheath are totally ambi. Another excellent choice would be the Bastinelli Telum for the same reasons.

Any local offering that can mimic the nature of these knife and sheath combos will be premium imo.
    Appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

The TDI is great and the standard sheath is actually not bad. It conceals well and the angled designs access really fast. It's a one sided pony though. You don't want to reverse grip it.

Xavier Knox has really great products and he understands what blades can and can't do.

Fixed blades are always faster to deploy than folders.

I would suggest you look at a scalpel style blade with finger ring.

Bastinelli did a colab with Doug Marcaida. That will be your more pricey option and an import.

Benchmade does the SOCP with a different sheath concept more geared for pocket carry.

Mojo Knives does the EDC. They are great little blades and his sheath is great. Blade sheaths are tricky to do. Get it with a clip and soft loop and see what you prefer. Soft will allow angled options whereas the clip will be more fixed. You can easily access with either hand.

User

spyderco ronin
    have carried one for 2 plus years
    plastic sheath is better than most
    light and slim

User

The blade is important but don't forget about the handle.
    I know most look good on pics and you, like me, think a knife maker would not make a knife that is 'less useful' because 'it looks right' but a good friend recently lost a few tendons in his fingers when he hit bone and his hand slid forward.

Banned

Sound advice that from meteor. A balde designed with that in mind makes a huge difference. Right now I can't recall the actual term (chimping is as far as my grey matter goes right now), having a design that prohibits your hand from sliding forward onto the blade is paramount.

Pretty much, if you don't want to hold it and hit a backstop at force, go with your gut.

This is also why, in part, the narrative has moved towards smaller blades over the years.

Banned

The term is jimping

Banned

That's it. Thanks :)

User

We have some skilled blade makers locally. DS brought up some pertinent points. I recently bought another fixed blade from HARM knives based in Durban, for a similar role.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2