Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: The Humble Jerry Can

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Where can you buy decent Jerry cans?
    I should have been more specific in what I said there. Mils spec cans are still being produced in Europe and the US amongst other places and are available for retail purchase. Haven't see tru 'mil spec', NATO or otherwise for sale here in SA but RS has heavy duty Tuv approved cans for just under R1900 locally. Waivan NATO spec cans can be bought on Amazon for shipping to SA for R2800.

User

The Valpro/Wavian, made in Latvia, is the current NATO certified can. They are sold at Makro and Outdoorwarehouse.

They also make one that has a screw on prop but I don't know if you'll find the sprout for it in SA.

I really want to get some opinions on the opined best of days past, the Kennedy. Thick steel and it is Phosphated inside, unlike the Valpro's red paint- which you should inspect with a light for even coverage before buying.
    But this is just stuff I heard long ago. I think most just buy steel because it doesn't rub through and they get what's good enough so Valpro.

User

I believe they manufacture them to different specs ito of wall thickness and coating etc. The current mil grade Wavian cans are almost a kilo heavier (at over 5) than stuff you can get at Makro, or at least the ones I've seen. The green ones I saw are also mat finished rather than gloss. Bumped into some German overlanders in the Transkei and they had current (as of three or four years back) production cans that were comparable to my old military items ito of weight.

Interestingly, but only if you geek out on jerry cans, the US moved to HPDE plastic screw top cans made by Scepter quite a while back.

User

What is the forum's opinion on Front Runner jerry cans?

I purchased a couple as they were visibly better constructed than the Makro offerings - Front Runners have a recessed weld seam, powder coated exterior, and UN approved specification mark. I only use mine for fuel storage in my garage, so I have not tested them on a 4x4 trip.

By the way there are people who collect old jerry cans as a hobby. The Second World War ones are highly collectible, especially the German Wehrmacht surplus.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulnb View Post
    What is the forum's opinion on Front Runner jerry cans?

I purchased a couple as they were visibly better constructed than the Makro offerings - Front Runners have a recessed weld seam, powder coated exterior, and UN approved specification mark. I only use mine for fuel storage in my garage, so I have not tested them on a 4x4 trip.

By the way there are people who collect old jerry cans as a hobby. The Second World War ones are highly collectible, especially the German Wehrmacht surplus.
    Dunno about their Jerry cans, but have their load bars, and they are absolutely solid. I've seen some of their other products, and I don't think you'll go wrong with them.

User

I'd seen that video in my Youtube suggestions for a while, but this thread got me to watch it, was very interesting!

Whats the opinion on the Addis plastic options? I have two of the blue ones I use for emergency water storage but have no experience with using them for fuel

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    I'd seen that video in my Youtube suggestions for a while, but this thread got me to watch it, was very interesting!

Whats the opinion on the Addis plastic options? I have two of the blue ones I use for emergency water storage but have no experience with using them for fuel
    I use the Yellow ones and seem to work well for my diesel. I advise that you get a service kit for each one. Getting these kits in Durban is difficult but they are made and include the washers and spare caps and spout. The older ones were better in that the spout can be stored by placing it into the opening and the cap over it. The newer ones don't seem to have this option and now the spout needs to cable tied to the handle.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Little off jerry can subject but related to fuel storage.
    We use the thick white plastic 25l 'cans' as fuel tanks and storage on our boats. These are not to be confused with the purpose built red horizontal type used in river/pleasure boats.
    These plastic cans are also a lot thicker than the generic Builders Warehouse type you get for water storage but look the same.
    The hatches on the deep sea boats are purpose made in size for these plastic cans and ensure a snug fit for 2/4 or more of these cans. I have some of these that i purchased in the mid 80's,used on a boat for many years and now still use them for fuel storage. I stayed in Natal for many years and these tanks have survived 2 trips to Mozz [camping for 10 days on Inhaca island] which entailed traveling to Maputo by road towing boats then 24 nautical miles by boat to Inhaca and then being stored on the beach for 10 days. 6 boats x 14 fuel tanks each.

They have also survived hundreds of km thumping around inside the hatch out at sea,hundreds of surf launches,thousands of km of road travel and many weeks of being stored at various camp sites.

Never had or heard of anyone having any issue with these tanks. Not recomending them for 4x4 travel as they would not be as strong concerning 'sidewall' damage as a decent metal jerry can but yes, they still deserve a mention.

Personally I prefer the 10l Jerry cans as they do not fall over so easy and are easier to stack in the car.

Sent from my BV9500Pro using Tapatalk

Banned

I have thick plastic Yellow and Blue ones for Water and Diesel, the boat shops sell red plastic ones for petrol and some of mine are 30 years old.
    I also have USA made Jerry cans that are 50 + years old and the square type as well (like in the clip but USA), made by Pegasus gasoline. The old stuff is kept as special and not used.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2