Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default The Humble Jerry Can

It's tough being alive in 2022.

We have a possible outbreak of WW3 looming on the horizon; but that's only a concern for us if we can dodge the Coof and the soon-to-be-released Coof-Vxxer-Zombie outbreak first!

Lest we forget, in sunny Safrica there's also the possibility of getting locked down by an equally frightening bout of zoomer-loot-er-itus!

For those fortunate enough to make it past these obstacles, the potential of R40/l fuel price paired with an impending global shortage of the black gold should make for a very interesting next level in this game called Life.

Which means that should you make it this far, you should be armed with the knowledge on how to safely store and transport the stuff!

Lucky for you this problem was solved many decades ago by those crafty German engineering boffins.

If you've ever looked at a Jerry Can and dismissed it as just-another-container then, dear reader, you are horribly mistaken. It's simplicity belies the sheer depth of thought and ingenuity that went into the design and manufacture of this clever little can. And to think, they did it without any of the whizz-bang technology we have today.

Watch the video and you will be amazed!

User

Default Re: The Humble Jerry Can

Facinating.

Thanx for the post.

User

Won't look at a Jerry can the same again....

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

A lot of info I did not know and I used to use them a lot.

Lately I only use the plastic ones from Addis. Those Red and Yellow ones. But I don't like them as much as the good old steel cans.

So why did I change....

China. That is why. Since the only jerrycans available in RSA changed to be Chinese manufactured they started to:

1 - Rust away in 6 months.
    2 - Caps leaking
    3 - Weld breaking
    4 - Bursting when standing in the sun

Actually they are just too crap to use anymore. Pay a lot for something that don't last.

And so the Chinese are using up the worlds resources and burning up fossil fuels to make junk that gets thrown away so that we must buy again and they stay in business. Damn I am fed up with this. And there are seriously plenty of examples like this. Usefull items but junk manufacturing rendering them to not last and Chinas economy growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post

Lately I only use the plastic ones from Addis. Those Red and Yellow ones. But I don't like them as much as the good old steel cans.

So why did I change....

China. That is why. Since the only jerrycans available in RSA changed to be Chinese manufactured they started to:

2 - Caps leaking
    3 - Weld breaking

Actually they are just too crap to use anymore. Pay a lot for something that don't last.

And so the Chinese are using up the worlds resources and burning up fossil fuels to make junk that gets thrown away so that we must buy again and they stay in business. Damn I am fed up with this. And there are seriously plenty of examples like this. Usefull items but junk manufacturing rendering them to not last and Chinas economy growing.
    The term used is Planned Obsolescence. Not only for Chinese manufactured goods:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...20manufacturer.

Banned

So why did I change....

2 - Caps leaking
    3 - Weld breaking

I managed to buy a few old ones that are TUV certified from a hardware shop that had old stock . You can actually feel the difference in weight compared to the new kak Chinese ones

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    I managed to buy a few old ones that are TUV certified from a hardware shop that had old stock . You can actually feel the difference in weight compared to the new kak Chinese ones
    I have 4 jerry cans that date back to the 70's at the the very *latest*. Other than a superficial visual similarity to the shyte that gets sold now at retailers they may as well be a different thing. They must be a third to half again as heavy and haven't rusted inside, cracked, leaked at their original seals or even noticeably dented despite 30+ years in my tender care. Got a Chinesium one as part of a sale of other goods two years ago and that one is rusty, leaks at the seal and is dented a the corners, in other words its essentially useless. A 'real' jerry can really is a triumph of industrial design.
    Last edited by oafpatroll; 17-03-2022 at 08:53. Reason: Trying to remove the stoopid

User

In fairness, they are just supplying a very substantial demand for the cheap shit that people want. You can still buy mil spec jerry cans but they cost a multiple of the cos play retail variety. Same is true for tools, bicycles and so on.

User

So interesting, who knew the humble Jerry can had such a rich history.

Thank you for sharing

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    In fairness, they are just supplying a very substantial demand for the cheap shit that people want. You can still buy mil spec jerry cans but they cost a multiple of the cos play retail variety. Same is true for tools, bicycles and so on.
    Where can you buy decent Jerry cans?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast