User

Default M1911 in Rhodesian service

Hey folks.

Whilst wandering idly through the internet forest, I stumbled across the Wikipedia entry for the pistol and it lists Rhodesia as one of the wars it was used in. Whilst it's common knowledge that the Rhodesians would use whatever they get their hands on, the entry has no citation to corroborate RhSF use and if memory serves me correctly, I can't recall ever seeing the M1911 mentioned in any of the Rhodesian war books I've read.

Can anyone provide any insight please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

User

Default Re: M1911 in Rhodesian service

Maybe as private purchase but don't recall any mention in any book either.Hopefully someone from the collector's fraternity sees this thread.

User

Interestingly that wikipedia article lists Zimbabwe in its list of current users and references a Jane's Defence edition:

Hogg, Ian (1989). Jane's Infantry Weapons 1989–90, 15th Edition. Jane's Information Group. pp. 826–836. ISBN 978-0-7106-0889-5.

User

There were a number of Vietnam vets who volunteered there, maybe they brought their own sidearms?

User

In 1983 when I bought my first 1911A1 (1911 frame, A1 slide, obviously a parts gun) from Field & Stream in JHB, the prevailing story about these particular guns is that they were all being exported from Vietnam where the USA had dumped them/lost them/whatever.

Someone like Rick Pascoe would probably have more insight here.

What I mean to say is that these guns may have also been connected to/ found their way to Zimbabwe.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I remember seeing a pic of a RLI trooper with what looked like a 1911 strapped onto his reserve chute.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Samizat45 View Post
    In 1983 when I bought my first 1911A1 (1911 frame, A1 slide, obviously a parts gun) from Field & Stream in JHB, the prevailing story about these particular guns is that they were all being exported from Vietnam where the USA had dumped them/lost them/whatever.

Someone like Rick Pascoe would probably have more insight here.

What I mean to say is that these guns may have also been connected to/ found their way to Zimbabwe.
    Cheers. Mine's a "bitsa", WW II Union Switch & Signal frame unknown slide and barrel as there are no markings on it and has what I suspect is a Kimber magazine lol.