Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: 9.3x62 at 300 meters.

This is why I am still of opinion that for the "average" hunter in bush country the 9,3x62 is a really decent option for a 1 rifle battery. Myself don't have one, I use my 30-06, but should I have the opportunity to redo my shooting and hunting life I will start of with a 9,3 for general hunting in the bushveld

Banned

I asked earlier "Could there be any reasons why that 9.3 would not be just as capable in regard to accuracy at 500 m as any other caliber (shooter excluded)?"

Dunno if overlooked or just a stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I asked earlier "Could there be any reasons why that 9.3 would not be just as capable in regard to accuracy at 500 m as any other caliber (shooter excluded)?"

Dunno if overlooked or just a stupid question.
    It's just a stupid question.

Everyone knows a 9.3x62 is a 70m rifle. Max.

But no, you are right, there is absolutely no reason that it should not be as accurate as other cartridges.

Years ago I guided an American hunter who brought a replica Sharpe's rifle in .45-70, like the one in the Quigley movie. He loaded a 500gr cast bullet in front of a case full of black powder. He shot a kudu and a springbok with the rifle and afterwards we had a load of fun on the range. Hitting small targets at 300m, with peep sights, were no challenge. As long as you knew the EXACT distance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    It's just a stupid question.

Everyone knows a 9.3x62 is a 70m rifle. Max.

But no, you are right, there is absolutely no reason that it should not be as accurate as other cartridges.

Years ago I guided an American hunter who brought a replica Sharpe's rifle in .45-70, like the one in the Quigley movie. He loaded a 500gr cast bullet in front of a case full of black powder. He shot a kudu and a springbok with the rifle and afterwards we had a load of fun on the range. Hitting small targets at 300m, with peep sights, were no challenge. As long as you knew the EXACT distance.
    Thought so!
    We shot a 10 x 20 cm target using .22 Sub sonic at 304 m repetitively Bairnsdale, never thought it possible. When back on a farm in Annes Villa we shot at 500 m with the old full stock .303 with same kind of results.
    A modern action 9.3 made by, say Howa should be a truly versatile rifle for duiker @ 30 m to Springuck at 300 m passing through Eland anywhere between those distances.
    A range finder and drop sheet would help though.
    Do you have a drop sheet for this rifle yet ? Would be nice to see a actual person you know feedback sheet, you can skip through past 70 m and start at 90 m with measurements.

User

Well, that 9.3x62 IS a Howa (must be one of very few in existence...)

@treeman: that thing called Strelok, we've been having it! it brings the wonder of trajectory calculations to the comfort of a smartphone near you

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Well, that 9.3x62 IS a Howa (must be one of very few in existence...)

@treeman: that thing called Strelok, we've been having it! it brings the wonder of trajectory calculations to the comfort of a smartphone near you
    That paid for Strelock is almost magical once you have your base line input info. I was shown around the in Aus and the guys really just stand there, range it, dial it and shoot it.

The idea of having a rifle zero'd at 100 m was a bit of putting though.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    The idea of having a rifle zero'd at 100 m was a bit of putting though.
    You don't have to zero at 100m to use Strelok, I zero at 200m.

User

Strelok absolutely rocks. It came very close to nailing POI for all three of my home brewed 270 Win bullet weight/designs.

User

I've recently developed a load for my 286gr Swift A-frame bullets. It's doing 2350fps. I'm not planning to shoot beyond 200m on the trip that I'm going on this year. But it will be interesting to see what it does out to 300m.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2