User

Default License renewal within 90 days of expiry

Hello all,

Any ideas what a valid reason for not submitting a license renewal application before the 90 days to expiration?

User

Default Re: License renewal within 90 days of expiry

Seems every DFO is different on this. I was very stressed to get in before the 90 days, to be told by DFO to relax just don’t come after expiration date.

I submitted several renewals up to six months in advance, and my DFO took them.

User

Sorry… got the message wrong. I will be past the 90 days. License expires next month.

User

Check with DFO you may be lucky.

User

First available appointment with my DFO was inside the 90 days. When he was looking through the appointment book it appeared that an office of three staff can only handle one or two a day

Section 24 Renewal of firearms licences of the FCA is quite clear: 24(1) "The holder of a licence issued in terms of this Chapter who wishes to renew the licence must at least 90 days before the date of expiry (my emphasis) of the licence apply to the Register for its renewal". Anything a DFO says contary to this is wrong.

24(4) says "If an application for the renewal of a licence has been lodged within the period provided for in sunsection (1), the licence remains valid until the application is decided". In practice the renewal application form SAPS 518a provides for a late application within the 90 days, and even after expiry, but requires a "reason". Of course a strict interpretation of (4) would raise problems!

Peter