Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Lead bullets banned in the UK

This will effect shotgun shooters, pistol shooters, black powder shooter shooters, rifle shooters. Pretty much everyone
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

I cannot find any mention of such a ban that has come in to force. There has been many attempts, but even a voluntary ban did not have any effect.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    I cannot find any mention of such a ban that has come in to force. There has been many attempts, but even a voluntary ban did not have any effect.
    When I last followed it a few years back the industry association in the UK that represented game meat dealers had put a deadline in place for implementing their own ban on buying meat that was shot with lead.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    When I last followed it a few years back the industry association in the UK that represented game meat dealers had put a deadline in place for implementing their own ban on buying meat that was shot with lead.
    I also don't find any reference to a legislative ban. This is the game meat dealers thing I refereed to. Thought it had come in much earlier as they were going on about it on the UK shooting forums a few years back.

User

As a percentage of people on the planet, how many are actually firearms owners and how many of these are active at any given time? Of all the problems in the world, this doesn't seem to me to justify the draconian steps being taken.

I have read a lot on this. To get lead poisoning is very difficult, we don't eat bullets and even if we did you would have to consume a lot for it to be taken up in the bloodstream in quantities that would pose a significant risk. Poisoning occurs much faster and is far worse when the lead is an aerosol/ vapour form but again is this really an issue outdoors? I have also yet to see definitive studies proving game animals shot with lead containing rounds leads to lead poisoning.

Is it an issue at all in relation to pellet rifles/ .22's? Possibly poorly ventilated indoor ranges could pose a higher risk to people but again how high?

There are many things that can and do kill/ disable people far more efficiently than lead poisoning from firearms use. This just seems like a stealth attack on firearms ownership.

User

Old article, there have many developments incl a ban since,

https://firearms-united.com/eu-ammunition-ban/

Trying to ban guns was not successful – next: Ban on bullets!

Banned for Hunting use. For recreational lead still allowed. So dont panic yet.

I mostly shoot Shotgun. And there has been push forever overseas to go towards steel shot over lead shot.

With 22lr you are not suppose to. Or allowed in SA to hunt with it in any case. Pest control yes. Hunting no.

Older shotguns might have an issue moving over. Newer models for couple years are made to handle steel shot. Especially the choke tubes.

User

Apparently the bill is still in second reading in the House of Lords. So still some ways to go. What is concerning is that it passed the first reading.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Banned for Hunting use. For recreational lead still allowed. So dont panic yet.

I mostly shoot Shotgun. And there has been push forever overseas to go towards steel shot over lead shot.
    But if they won that part, who say they will stop there? What about sport shooting in the form of Ipsc and those kind of sport where you shoot steel plates then steel shot will never work? And there goes another.
    I still think to take guns away will be very difficult but to take our means to use away is easier. Expensive ammo, difficulty to get powder, primers, bullets etc.

User

its the UK. there is no IPSC

well, or logic for that matter...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast